Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: EVH Frankenbass

Thank you! I hadn’t heard so I bought a set of tone riders, as I really like their guitar pickups. I will do some digging about these, the geezer butler ones sound good, great information

I'll be curious how you like the Toneriders. No one I know has them, but they get lots of love on this forum. I don't think I've seen a review of their bass pups, tho, so your review will be welcome ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post
    I'll be curious how you like the Toneriders. No one I know has them, but they get lots of love on this forum. I don't think I've seen a review of their bass pups, tho, so your review will be welcome ;-)
    That’s why I didn’t jump for them straight off. Both my gigging basses have d’marzio model p in them, and they growl wonderfully. The toneriders I have in my guitars are outstanding, especially the Tele pickups, so let’s see!

The stock kit pickups have ceramic magnets stuck on the back and steel slugs, so are nothing like real a P-bass pickup construction. They make a noise, but it's not a noise I'd want to hear for too long myself.

My choice for something that would be similar to DiMarzios, but slightly different would be Bartolini, maybe because I've got a set in my P-style Lakland bass and know what they sound like (it's ex-Neil Murray and he fitted them). I did fit a set of Bare Knuckle P-bass pickups in a friend's JV Squier precision and they sounded OK, but I prefer the Bartolini sound. But visually, mine don't have exposed pole pieces, so may not suit the look you're after.

So many pickups to chose from, so little opportunity to try them out.

For P style pups, there is a huge range out there. Every man and his dog has signature P bass pups...guess its tetamernt to Leo Fender getting the lay out right. Even Les Claypool has gotten into the act with his gold bars... the ad is pretty funny.

I haven’t seen the Les ad, I’ll look it up!
    The toneriders are on the way, and I’ll let you know how they stack up against the d’marzios I have been using for 30 years… I’m confident they will be at least good, probably better than good judging by their other pickups, but let’s see…
    Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming!

Simon- did you say you have Neil Murray’s bass?

A bass that Neil Murray used for 500-odd performances of We Will Rock You, when he was in the house band. He sold it on eBay and I went to his house to pick it up from him.

Wow that’s cool! What a great player

Righto, the post office seems to have lost my pickups and electrics somewhere between Pitbull HQ and Sydney, sent 2 weeks ago today....... So it's the waiting game. I did find a 1970 quarter that I might use as a thumb rest though. Of course I can't fit it until I have the pickups..... and lock-down is getting dull!
    Oh, on another positive note, I managed to find some more of the 'correct' round reflectors (60mm) for the back in orange and red, so we will get there in small steps.
    Last edited by Andyxlh; 15-09-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast