Thread: Graphtec Nut

Graphtec Nut

Gday Champions
    Just had a question if anyone’s had any experience using graphtec/tusq neck nuts on their guitars?
    I’m currently building a PBG JM with a strat style neck, Do you recommend just using a blank? or do the fender style pre slotted work alright?
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Generally they are fine, but I did find on my JM kit that the slot was a little deep so I needed to shim it up a little.
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

3. Liked by: Edwardos

I’ve used the Graph Tech Tusq PT-5042-00 Flat Bottom 42mm Slotted for Strat and Tele necks, like Sonic said sometimes it needs a little shim but apart from that they’re perfect.

5. Liked by: Edwardos

Thanks blokes for the info! Appreciate it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Graphtech do quite a range of nuts that very in width depth and height. So it's worth measuring the current nut (which will invariable have the nuts too high) and seeing what their best fit nut is.

https://graphtech.com/pages/nuts

You then have to see if you can find a more local stockist (or an online provider) who has one of that type . Because there are so many sizes, very few music stores keep much of a range in stock, only the most popular ones, so don't think that's all there are available. And Graphtech can't cover every size combination, so sometimes a blank is the only option. But there should be one that is suitable for the kit without having to put a veneer shim in to raise it up.

8. Liked by: Edwardos

I thought the nut for my clifenbacker was 43mm and I couldn't find online one. I ended up getting a black tusq blank. Turns out the neck of the Ric I measured was 43mm at the nut, the actual nut was 41mm and I could have have gotten a pre-shaped. The material does feel like bone so I'm guessing it is an improvement over plastic.