Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ST-1 Custom experiement

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Sand the tops down, fill in the knob numbers with paint and they should look fine.
    I would but the PLA I used to print them with doesn't take to kindly to sanding. It's also wafer thin, so I'll be sanding my fingers by the end of the first pass
    Pretty eager to get this build started. I did get some black acrylic spray paint to change the pickguard to black and some polyurethane to clear coat over the stickers. Just in time before we're not allowed out for the next couple of weeks so that's at least organised.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Sand the tops down, fill in the knob numbers with paint and they should look fine.
    It dawned on me this morning to take one (I actually printed a spare), give it a quick run over with 400 grit, then hit it with some black spraypaint to see if I can get the top of the humbucker covers looking better. It's not exactly warm in the garage, so I suspect the 10 minute touch dry time might need an hour or two.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humbucker.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	41350
    Covers painted after a bit of a sand. Pretty flimsy so couldn't get the tops 100% smooth. One has a bit of a pool on one side. Not entirely sure I can given these are only temporary. If nothing else, I need the practice with the spray paint.

Covers painted after a bit of a sand. Pretty flimsy so couldn't get the tops 100% smooth. One has a bit of a pool on one side. Not entirely sure I can given these are only temporary. If nothing else, I need the practice with the spray paint.
    I'm guessing you may have been too close (or too slow) with the spray can, or just did too many coats.

You're better off doing multiple light coats rather than trying to put down one or two of heavy coats.
    Too heavy and you'll get pooling or runs and the drying time will take significantly longer.

With rattle cans, I find about 150-200mm spraying distance is good, and not doing your passes too slow or too fast.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I reckon I've done about 3 coats over these. Trying to get the knack for light sprays for something so small is a bit of a challenge. I hadn't planned on quite so many, but it's mostly from trying to hide the print pattern of the PLA they're made out of it. I could sand most of it off, but given they're so thin I couldn't quite get it all off.
    Slow progress, but progress no less.

Might be worth upping the density of the print fill matrix and printing again, it wouldn’t take much pla.
    I have to have knobs that go to 11…

7. Liked by: lunaticds, OliSam

This project is going nowhere at a rate of 0km/hr.
    PBG were nice and quick to ship - on the 20th August. It made it as far as Perth, where it's been sitting ever since.
    A follow up with AusPost resulted in a canned response of "we're busy" and some waffle about pain points in Sydney and Melbourne that don't really explain why a package going from Perth to Melbourne hasn't made it to at least Melbourne (and I'm seeing plenty of stuff coming through Melbourne).
    PBG sent out a box of bridges 2 days later and I received them days ago, so it's a little frustrating.

+1 for the Krylon on pickguards. I painted a black pickguard and jack plate from a FV-1 kit with white Krylon Fusion for plastic. Took a few thin coats to fully hide the black (put the first coat on too thick and had runs everywhere, so sanded back and started again). Sticks like shit to a blanket. I finished it off with a few coats of Krylon clear gloss for scratch protection. Seems a bit weird worrying about scratch protection on a scratch plate, but hey.

Here's a can of black gloss a lot cheaper than I paid for my cans - https://www.caswellplating.com.au/st...c-gloss-black-

For reference...

Name:	20200330_103922.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	41538

Seems a bit weird worrying about scratch protection on a scratch plate, but hey.

Here's a can of black gloss a lot cheaper than I paid for my cans - https://www.caswellplating.com.au/st...c-gloss-black-
    Yeah, I get the irony! The good thing is if the pickguard gets scratched up, you can repaint it!
    That price is better than what I paid too. It has become more widely available here in recent years and I suppose that affects the pricing.

FWIW, I recently used SCA Acrylic spray paint (also suitable on plastics - like bumpers) with good results. I just used White Knight Acrylic Clear over it, again with good results and no compatibility issues. I had a full set of Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups that had two black covers, and one aged white. I now have three black! (and they match really well!)
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post
    +1 for the Krylon on pickguards. I painted a black pickguard and jack plate from a FV-1 kit with white Krylon Fusion for plastic. Took a few thin coats to fully hide the black (put the first coat on too thick and had runs everywhere, so sanded back and started again). Sticks like shit to a blanket. I finished it off with a few coats of Krylon clear gloss for scratch protection. Seems a bit weird worrying about scratch protection on a scratch plate, but hey.

For reference...

Name:	20200330_103922.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	281.4 KB 
ID:	41538
    Cheers. Is this the clear coat you're using? https://www.caswellplating.com.au/st...one-flat-clear
    I've got some cans of Squirts black and some polyurethane that I'm hoping to use, but so far on other projects they're not playing nicely, so I might go down this path yet.
    Very hard at the moment to stop winding up with little bubbles through whatever i spray, even from a distance.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast