Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 1st build: DTL-7

You'll never get an exact F-style headstock, 70s or earlier, from a standard Pit Bull paddle because the pre-cut lower curve is too elongated, so it's always going to look slightly stretched. In this instance, there isn't enough wood beyond the top E string tuner hole to get just the right size of rounded bulb on the end of the headstock. And the tuner hole spacings will be slightly different as well.

But you can get something that looks very similar indeed and only real experts could tell at a glance it wasn't correct.

Plenty of online headstock templates in pdf form. Print one off at 1:1 scaling, cut it out and find the best fit on the paddle. For my GST-1 kit I stuck a template on with some paper glue after finding the best compromise position on the paddle. I then cut around that, sanded it down to the shape, and that was it.

Obviously with a 7-string paddle, you''ll have to make some slight alterations to the shape, but sliding it down to get the end of the headstock correct should then give you an idea of what slight mods you need to make at the nut end. But for that 70s look, you don't want to reduce the width of the paddle at all at the pointed end of that lower curve away from the nut. Just looking at a 70s headstock, the lower curve 'point' is roughly the same distance down from the nut as the width of the nut itself, and you've probably got that with the kit paddle. For a pre-CBS headstock, you'd need to reduce that distance.

@Andyxlh Rondo had a couple of 7-string teles, but I've never seen them in action. There's also a Brazilian builder who made a pretty cool Thin Line. Check it out: https://youtu.be/wJi4M3RKo34

A non-metal 7-string is indeed rare, but I think it would be a natural fit here in Brazil. 7-string nylon acoustics are widely used in Samba.

Hey everybody!

Just an update: the kit has arrived! I'll do a more thorough mock build when I have the time, but everything fits together and looks good.

I also want to praise Pitbull customer service: there has been a bit of a mix-up between the carrier and the Brazilian Customs that was in no way Pitbull's fault and, even then, they offered to reimburse me for all extra expenses. That's way beyond what I had any right to expect from them, so kudos to Pitbull and Ben Pettit in particular.

The only surprise with the kit was that all hardware is black. That's not a dealbreaker, but the mocha finish I was aiming for won't look as good as it would with a chrome hardware. I'll probably aim for a more butterscotch finish, because I think the contrast with the hardware will look better that way.

Speaking of the finishing process, from what I understood, it's better to do it in the dry season, right? The thing is that we've been having a lot of dust storms here in Brazil. This is something new (partly a result of the rampant deflorestation under the current administration, I believe), and there's a lot of dust in the air... Will it impact the finish? Should I seal the windows before working or something (and use a non-toxic finish)?

That 7 string tele in the video is lovely! I'm still lost past 4 though.

Black hardware usually costs extra...... Pitbull always do the right thing by the customer in my experience, nice to hear

Re the finish, I prefer a spray polyurethane finish on the guitars I do, it's nice and hard but a bit of a pain to polish and takes ages to go hard. My bias is probably from building cars and motorbikes so spraying is easiest for me.

I'm sure someone will chime in, but I'd think the best choices if things are hot, windy and/or dusty might be:

- Spray acrylic, which flashes off in a few minutes so you only need to keep the dust off for that long
    - A wipe-on or brush finish, like Tru-Oil or similar. I have no experience with them, but the results I see on here are awesome
    - Fast drying Polyurethane spray - similar to acrylic but takes a little longer to stop being tacky

Either way, chances are you are going to cut back the finish and polish. With spray poly on a clear day you can get it close to mirror with no polishing (until that fly lands in it )

5. Liked by: davidaviola

Re the headstock, if you can't decide, just do both like I did on this one
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1194.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	41541

7. Liked by: davidaviola

As for the colour contrast with the black hardware, I did a zebra tele with a dark finish using black hardware and I kinda like it. Might not be everyone's cup of tea, however.

Name:	20200802_062323_small.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	41542

Name:	20200802_062332_small.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	315.0 KB 
ID:	41543

9. Liked by: davidaviola

Oh, and that tele was done with nothing but Tru-oil, since you were asking about finish options. It's not perfect - I've learnt a few things since that was built and should probably go back and do a bit more work on it. However, it's not terrible.

11. Liked by: davidaviola

Quote Originally Posted by m0j0 View Post

Name:	20200802_062323_small.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	404.9 KB 
ID:	41542
    That's a very sharp looking instrument, nice job. I like the modern black on the classic lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    That's a very sharp looking instrument, nice job. I like the modern black on the classic lines.
    Yeah, but I was playing it last night for the first time in a while, and I realised how poorly I've set it up (or not set it up, more accurately). Add that to my to-do list.

Anyway, I've hi-jacked your thread, davidaviola and I apologise. Would love to see a photo of the untouched kit if you have one.

14. Liked by: davidaviola

@m0j0, that looks beautiful. Things are a bit crazy today, but I'll post some photos over the weekend.

@Andyxlh, that headstock is awesome!

In terms of finishing, I'm leaning towards something you can wipe on, because everytime I use a rattle can, I mess up. What I did to my wife's bike is grounds for divorce. I'm thinking tru-oil for the neck, because it seems like it's widely used with no real issues, but I'll attempt some french polishing on the body and see where that takes me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast