Thread: Where to buy acrylic lacquer in Sydney?

Where to buy acrylic lacquer in Sydney?

Hi all,

I've been practicing my spray paint chops in some DIY loudspeakers, using paint I got from supercheap. This is acrylic lacquer for a spray gun, rather than rattle cans. Supercheap have both colours - black and white, and I think they can mix colours on request, but haven't tried that.

Where does everyone buy their paint? If I'm looking for a custom colour such as Pelham Blue, can that be made up?

Cheers,

Jon

Overlord of Music Sonic Mountain's Avatar
    Any automotive paint supplier can do a custom mix for you. You'll need to provide a sample if there isn't an existing code.

It's not that cheap ~$90 for a 400g tin of custom mix.

Or you can go something like this and do it in nitro

https://www.guitaraust.com.au/finish...hoCIeQQAvD_BwE
    Build 1 - Shoegazer MK1 JMA-1
    Build 2 - The Relliecaster TL-1
    Build 3 - The Black Cherry SG AG-1
    Build 4 - The Sonicaster TL-1ish
    Build 5 - The Steampunker Bass YB-4
    Build 6 - The Howling Gowing ST-1

"What I lack in talent I make up for with enthusiasm"

Hi Jon,

Supercheap can mix up paint for you, but it will depend on whether they have the "recipe" in their paint system for the colour you want. They will identify it by a colour code for a make/model of a car. There is a website where you can find the colour codes for automotive colours, and you can find Pelham blue there (from the a 1960 Caddilac) - https://paintref.com/cgi-bin/colorco...m+blue&rows=50. You could try giving them one of those codes and see if they can mix it.

Since you are in Sydney, VG Auto paints also do Acrylic paint mixes, and may be able to help you out as well. Since they have a different brand, they may have the recipe if supercheap don't have it. https://vgautopaints.com.au/

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by andybanks View Post
    Since you are in Sydney, VG Auto paints also do Acrylic paint mixes, and may be able to help you out as well. Since they have a different brand, they may have the recipe if supercheap don't have it. https://vgautopaints.com.au/
    Although you may have too wait a while before you can explore that option (lockdowncough). VG does have a pretty extensive paint code library. These days I get water borne paints sent from either Melbourne or Adelaide and cocktail my own colours if I have to.You can clear them with just about any clear.

Thanks guys, that's given me plenty to go on. I'm in the early days of planning the finish on a TL-1B that seams to have arrived in my shed ;-) The paintref website is excellent, and combining that with a conversation with the guys at VG Auto might have me in business.

Rabbit - do you have a link to those water borne paints? That's not something i've come across (assuming it's something that can be applied in the same was as an acrylic lacquer, i.e. via spray gun.) Anything that's got less organic solvents in it sounds good.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwhitear View Post
    Thanks guys, that's given me plenty to go on. I'm in the early days of planning the finish on a TL-1B that seams to have arrived in my shed ;-) The paintref website is excellent, and combining that with a conversation with the guys at VG Auto might have me in business.

Rabbit - do you have a link to those water borne paints? That's not something i've come across (assuming it's something that can be applied in the same was as an acrylic lacquer, i.e. via spray gun.) Anything that's got less organic solvents in it sounds good.
    Yeh, one of the guys at VG, Dave has a Youtube channel with DIY custom painting tip s and stuff. As for the paints I use, they are made by a company called createx. The ones in their range I use are autoborne primers and what used to be autoair base coats, but they have rolled over their autoair line into their wicked line, which aside from being automotive grade base coats can be used on timber and textiles. I get mine from a place called Airbrush Megastore. The clear coat I'm currently using for guitars is a water based 2k marine clear from the company that make the epoxy bote cote.
    So far no one makes and automotive grade clear that's water borne.

Thanks Rabbit.