Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Salvaging an old Samick Strat copy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210914_170136.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	41607
    The Wilkinsons arrived today and promptly became a WFH lunch project to install using a Luthiers Tool's wiring kit as I pulled the kit that came with that guard off and installed in the Plasticaster.
    No idea if it's electronically good - guess I'll find out one day.
    The fret wire appears to be on the slow boat, so once that's here I can get that done, sort the neck out again and see if I find up with a playable guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticds View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210914_170136.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	41607
    The fret wire appears to be on the slow boat, so once that's here I can get that done, sort the neck out again and see if I find up with a playable guitar.
    Such a familiar pain point. I'd have been playing my first guitar 2 months ago if it weren't for slow internet purchases. I think the only thing worse than waiting for clearcoat to dry is waiting for the post to arrive!

New nut arrived today so I stuck it in and put it all back together.
    It seems to play pretty well, and the electronics sound miles better than the Squier stuff that I'd tried fitting in it.

The only issue.. is... the first fret still. Despite having replaced it again and re-levelling the board, it seems to be a problem. There does look to be some lifting at the second fret, and it's kinda shabby anyway, so I may rip it out and replace it. If I wind up moving the problem to the 3rd fret, I guess I'll go looking for ever larger fret wire and redo both.

The action beyond that is actually pretty good given I'd had it set reasonably low already, and after half an hour noodling, I really couldn't find any issues beyond the sonic joys of the pickups being too close to the strings initially.

Sound wise I'm actually pretty happy with it. A half decent set of pickups seems to make a fair difference.

Who'd a thunk it? A little relief and the first fret is behaving and the rest of the board is good. I might even be able to get a smidge lower action out of it.
    Left to do:
    - Set it up for strap locks. Currently has a set of mismatched button holders that are screwed in over the junk strap on it.
    - Trim the excess off the strings.
    - Reduce the pot height so I can't see the nuts under the knobs. That'll probably be a job on the next string change.
    - Shut up and play it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4