Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: My TB-4 Bass Build

After a few coats of Tru-oil and being left over night, I've finally attached the decals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210828_071738.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	269.5 KB 
ID:	41426
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210828_065324.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	308.6 KB 
ID:	41427
    I did put copper tape in the pickup cavities as well, with copper strips feeding between the gaps to get continuity into the control cavity.

I've given it a light rub with some 400 grit as a few rough spots were coming up.
    Time to leave it alone for 24 hours before I start throwing a stack more coats over it and start to build up over those decals. They're covered in polyurethane, so that should be.. interesting..

The new bridge I ordered a week ago, is still in Perth according to Australia Post. Glad I'm not in a hurry..

In the mean time, there's ribs in the smoker for lunch and I've got the whole bottom section of the 3D Plasticaster printed, so there are things to do..

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticds View Post
    The new bridge I ordered a week ago, is still in Perth according to Australia Post. Glad I'm not in a hurry..
    Try waiting for 3 months while your pickups sit at a German airport for a flight .

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Try waiting for 3 months while your pickups sit at a German airport for a flight .
    NOO!!! That's just cruel.
    I do understand though. I've had my fair share of toys stuck i transit during this pandemic. I feel ya!

The decals look sharp, nice job!
    My last guitar kit took 3 days Perth to sydney, amazing!
    As sydney lockdown rolls on I’m ordering a Tele bass kit and a couple more cases to hold the finished products 😁

I'm thinking about building a granny flat so my babies have somewhere to live. Getting a bit crowded and the missus is feeling threatened.

6. Liked by: lunaticds

I bit the bullet today and ordered a set of EMG 35HZ with pots and wiring. I'm rather fond of the solderless kits EMG do. I'd never used them until a I put a set of EMG GZR PJs in my Aerodyne. Not scared of soldering (been doing that for 30 years) - I just like the approach.
    The 35HZ were hard as hell to find. I've had to order from the US. Finding single actives was almost easier, but I really didn't want to be converting this to active. I have a bad habit of leaving transmitters plugged in, so I don't get on that well with active pickups :P
    This bass is about to be the second most valuable guitar I own - for no other reason that the insane amount of money I've put into upgrades. I guess I should put the effort into making it good!

The kit pickups really don't inspire me too much. The quality of them alone is a bit inconsistent and the wiring looks a tad miserable.

Working at the moment on building up the Tru-oil layers trying to bury the decals and periodically sanding the body smooth. I just received some new sandpaper so I might progress on to trying to wet sand at a higher grit soon - I've been using 400 dry.
    If it wasn't for the decals I'd have probably decided it was enough - I've had it come up pretty glossy, but still get a few rough areas coming up as the layers have increased so I just keep sanding then throwing on a few more coats.
    I'm thinking given the areas with decals are largely isolated, that I can keep layering them up, but just work on getting the rest of the body smooth and clean it down so I can give it a final coat and leave it alone for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by lunaticds View Post
    IThis bass is about to be the second most valuable guitar I own - for no other reason that the insane amount of money I've put into upgrades. I guess I should put the effort into making it good!
    Upgrades certainly add up and give you incentive to put in some extra effort.Especially when the upgrades cost more than the kit each!

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    Upgrades certainly add up and give you incentive to put in some extra effort.Especially when the upgrades cost more than the kit each!
    Certainly does.
    It's weighed on my mind what I'd be looking at in a new bass if I brought off the shelf - what my expectations would be, and what I'd need to have in a bass that might make me want to pick it up over the Aerodyne. I can only achieve so much with this kit, but I'd like to hope at least with effort and quality components, I can come out with an instrument that would make me want to pick it up and play it. I've already got more guitars and basses than I know what to do with, so there needs to be that little "something special" about them.

I found that I liked playing the guitars I put together so much I got rid of all of my other 'branded' ones, except my Jazz Special and Stingray.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyxlh View Post
    I found that I liked playing the guitars I put together so much I got rid of all of my other 'branded' ones, except my Jazz Special and Stingray.
    It'd be nice to be able to build that well.. sadly I suspect my capabilities at building are on par with my playing... Atrociously abysmal and desperately in need of practice

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast