Thread: Wiring help for gpr-1r semi hollow

Wiring help for gpr-1r semi hollow

I have wired up numerous guitars but this one has me stumped. There are 2 humbuckers, 1 volume, one tone knobs and 2 coil splitting on/on mini switches as well as a 3 way switch. I have tried everything I can imagine but no sound at all. There is not diagram on pitbull website. Please help!

Hi and welcome.

You've done pickup wiring before, so exactly what bits are you confused about?

I presume the kit humbuckers come with 4-conductor wiring? If just single+ braid, this is wrong and you need to get on to Pit Bull to send you the correct pickups.

Assuming 4-wire, you'll have one single wire, which is the hot signal, which will go to the 3-way switch. You'll have a braided wire, twisted with another wire, which will be the ground connection, and a pair of wires twisted together which are the coil split pair.

If in doubt, post a photo (need to be resized to be less than 1500 pixels on the longest side for the forum to host, otherwise host elsewhere and link).

Basic signal flow is pickups > 3-way switch > volume control with the output from that split to the tone control and the output jack.

I'd take the hot and the ground connections to the 3-way switch, and use the ground tab on that to connect the pickup grounds and a main ground together.

You'll either need to strip a lot of insulation off the pickup leads so you can take the coil split pair to a split switch, or else solder another wire to the pair (and cover the join with some heat shrink tubing) and take that wire off to the switch. The pair get soldered to one of the outer tabs on the switch (assuming it has three tabs) whilst a ground goes to the central tab.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Hi and welcome.

You've done pickup wiring before, so exactly what bits are you confused about?

I presume the kit humbuckers come with 4-conductor wiring? If just single+ braid, this is wrong and you need to get on to Pit Bull to send you the correct pickups.

Assuming 4-wire, you'll have one single wire, which is the hot signal, which will go to the 3-way switch. You'll have a braided wire, twisted with another wire, which will be the ground connection, and a pair of wires twisted together which are the coil split pair.

If in doubt, post a photo (need to be resized to be less than 1500 pixels on the longest side for the forum to host, otherwise host elsewhere and link).

Basic signal flow is pickups > 3-way switch > volume control with the output from that split to the tone control and the output jack.

I'd take the hot and the ground connections to the 3-way switch, and use the ground tab on that to connect the pickup grounds and a main ground together.

You'll either need to strip a lot of insulation off the pickup leads so you can take the coil split pair to a split switch, or else solder another wire to the pair (and cover the join with some heat shrink tubing) and take that wire off to the switch. The pair get soldered to one of the outer tabs on the switch (assuming it has three tabs) whilst a ground goes to the central tab.
    So I have done all that you have said and there is still no sound coming out whatever. Is there a way that you could explain the wiring between the pots. Maybe it's different than what I think it should be. The wires between the pots were soldered poorly and by the time I got the guitar there was four wires that were not attached anywhere they were just hanging loose. Perhaps I soldered them wrong?