Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Would you paint/dye a maple fretboard?

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    I suppose a bit of both, but mainly for practical reasons of wear and maintenance.

As far as wear, realistically I guess it would be no different than applying clear lacquer or poly to a maple fretboard, but it could make future fret replacement trickier.

If you got any tear out when removing the frets (which is always a risk no matter careful you are) fixing it could be more difficult to touch up than just a clear coat. I don't think I'd take it on if someone brought it to me for a refret.
    Oh yeah that makes sense. I had considered issues that might occur were someone to wear through the clear, but hadn't considered issues with refrets etc in the future. I think if it were made to be seen rather than played it would be cool to do.

Good to know that it's possible, and has been done a whole bunch, but there are some potential issues with doing it.

I'll probably just leave it alone to be honest.

You could always do rectangular inlays between each fret with different coloured materials or fill the inlay with coloured epoxy .

3. Liked by: ross.pearson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2