Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Es-1gt

Thanks McCreed,

I'm fully expecting that by the end of this build, I will be already planning how I can do better on the next one... I better start saving now. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    IME, a big part of guitar building is making mistakes, then learning how to fix them, then hopefully not making the same mistakes again!

As much as I hate the mistake making part (and try hard to avoid them) I do find a real sense of achievement when I've used my troubleshooting skills and successfully overcome a stuff up.
    +1

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Well folks, The weather has been nice this weekend, so things have progressed well. I sprayed out the clear on Saturday morning, and with the assistance of some heat lamps, it was ready to sand and polish this morning.

Once I had removed the orange peel (not the greatest clear spray job i have done, but easily corrected) and buffed some shine back into her, I brought her back into the house and took over the dining table to install the hardware.

The installation went without any major hick-ups, and I have set up the action and set the intonation, so it all works.

I think I am going to call it done at this stage, I generally follow the rule "live in a house for 3 months before you start changing anything", so I am going to play this for a few months, and bed everything in before I make any further changes.

I suspect I will change the capacitors out as a bare minimum, and will probably change the pots too, but I am not unhappy with the pickups. They are seem somewhat underwound compared to the main guitar i currently use, but this gives a nice tone that works for me.

When I get a chance I'll record something and post it here. :-)

Now I just gotta clean up all the tools for the next job..

Looks very nice.

What did you use for clear? 24 hours from spray to wet sand seems very quick to me.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I used the Protec High Solids Top Coat clear. After I finished the final coat, I put it under heat lamps in an enclosed space to "bake" it for an hour or so. When I woke up this morning and put a fingernail to it, it was good to go. I wet sanded with 1000, 1500 and 2000 and then used the Juice Cut compound to buff it up. I started on the back because I also thought it might be a bit soft and go cloudy, but it was all good. Made my weekend, because patience isn't always my strong point.

Wonderful job, that clear coat looks superb
    Nice headstock too

8. Liked by: andybanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clearcoat.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	151.8 KB 
ID:	41595

This is the one

So a 2K product. I understand now. You're obviously set up with the full breathing apparatus at home.

Yep, I wouldn't recommend doing this without a decent respirator.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast