Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Es-1gt

Hi again,
    sorry about the questions.

Is the logo 2 pieces of vinyl - white vinyl (with logo removed) stuck onto gold vinyl? Or gold vinyl logo stuck into white vinyl with logo removed? Or am I way off.

Sorry to ask but I'm getting a Cricut for father's day and can see lots of potential.

regards Trevor
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Hi Trevor,

It is a copper vinyl, and the white is just the paper backing once it has been cut from the stock "roll". To apply it to the headstock I'll use some contact, it is sometimes called transfer tape. Essentially you put the contact over the lot, and then peel off the logo all together, then put it on the headstock and carefully remove the contact, leaving the vinyl logo behind. I'll probably then clear once more over the lot, once the glues have dried, and that should lock it in forever.

It is pretty cool tech for something that is so readily available, and when you are done you can make yourself a t-shirt to match your guitar. 😀

Thankyou. It looks great. I will have to see about getting some copper vinyl.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

There's plenty to choose from, I re-cut it this afternoon with a stainless steel looking vinyl in case it matches better against the gold. Cricut have a bunch available in their brand, but you can also shop around and find vinyl from signmaker supply stores that have even more options available.

It's like falling down the rabbit hole with Alice...

Just caught on to your diary. The guitar is looking good and the videos are fun to watch. Got some cool ideas going on.

Hi Folks,

Had a bit of a 1 step forward, 2 steps back weekend last weekend.

The binding scraping didn't go too well. Some areas are pretty good, but others... let's just say "not so good"

I was somewhat distracted with other jobs over the weekend, so I will have to wait for the weekend to fix it all.

I suspect if I had scraped the bindings before the clear-coat, and especially before it hardened too much, this would have gone a fair bit better. Lesson learned.

here's some photos anyway. It's not the end of the world by any means, but will simply mean I get to re-do the same process a second time. :-)

p.s. the "distraction" was making some cross-stitch frames for my darling wife. She's all happy again now.

Well that sounds like one major win right there!
    I have always masked the binding with pvc fine line painter tape, you can get it at auto refinishers, for next time

Yep, that's the approach I'll be going with this time.

Happy Father's Day Dads out there...

I hope everyone had a good weekend...

The weather where I live was pretty miserable for most of the weekend, making for less than ideal painting conditions (the temperature was low and the humidity was over 90% for all of Saturday). Here's the charts from my weather station...

So, with the inclination to not paint much, i spent the time experimenting on the headstock. At first, I taped out an outline, and mixed some colours trying to get something similar to the vintage white binding colour, and sprayed it out.

I didn't like it, it looked too fat for my liking, so out came the thinners and off went the changes.

Instead, I cut out a similar shape after drawing it on the computer.

I like this better, so I'll clear over this once the weather improves.

With my other spare time, i cleaned up the binding faults and resprayed out some basecoat to prepare for clear everywhere.

Can't take a good photo to save my life though...

So now I cross my fingers and hope this weekend (or an opportunistic time beforehand) will have better weather and I can get some clear on this, because I think that represents the last big job, and all the rest should fall together nicely.

At least I hope to be at a point where I can test the pickups soon and determine whether I can live with them..

Looks like you've at least made some good recovery there.

IME, a big part of guitar building is making mistakes, then learning how to fix them, then hopefully not making the same mistakes again!

As much as I hate the mistake making part (and try hard to avoid them) I do find a real sense of achievement when I've used my troubleshooting skills and successfully overcome a stuff up.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast