Thread: Wiring Issues

Wiring Issues

Hi Guys,

First build and I am having problems with wiring. Been through all of the wiring threads and I seem to have the wiring right, but I am possibly doing something silly.

Completed a "tap test" - when the 3 way switch is set to the front position I only have the bridge pick up. In the centre position I have both pickups working. However, when the switch is in the rear position I still have both pickups working?

Have I done something silly or have I got a crook switch?

Thanks,

Darryn

Hi Darryn,
    the pdf isn't showing anything. Can you post another picture of your soldering?
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

From your description, I'd say the switch was faulty. If you have a multimeter, I'd check by disconnecting the two input wires and checking the switch positions.

I presume it's a 'box' type toggle switch, and they aren't the most reliable type of switch in my experience.

Sorry Guys,

Technology beat me with the photo. Still having trouble getting them to a small enough size to fit in the forum.

Thanks very much for the feedback - where would I check with a multimeter please Simon? From earth on the back of the volume pot with the black lead to the points I have soldered on the switch with the red lead?

Cheers,

Darryn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1827-1.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	415.8 KB 
ID:	41239  

OK, so it’s a Tele, so not a box switch. You can make wiring mistakes with those, and it’s easy to get a loose wiring strand bridging contacts, so we really need a close-up or two of the switch wiring.

Photos need to be resized to be 1500 pixels (or less) on the longest side. It’s a right-click option on the standard Windows photo viewer, or if using a phone or tablet, there are free apps to do it. The Tapatalk forum app also resizes photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Darryn View Post
    Sorry Guys,

Technology beat me with the photo. Still having trouble getting them to a small enough size to fit in the forum.
    Quickest/easiest way I've found (if you're on a windows PC) is to open your photo in Paint and use the resize function to set the longest side to 1500px. That usually takes care of bringing the quality down to get under the 1mb filesize limit also.

They don't look pixel perfect, but they work.

Most of the time I use photoshop to set my export quality to preserve as much detail as possible though.

Got the photos working!

Thanks for the advice guys, and sorry I am a little slow. That 4 nasty letter word (work) has been getting in the way......

I have only tacked the wiring at this stage to make it easier to remove if I have made a mistake, so it is a little bit rough, but there look to be good contacts there. Other wire has been earthed under the bridge as per instruction guide. Should I solder this on to make sure I get a good contact (I did have it twitched through a screw hole, so pretty confident about the contact)?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1828[1].jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	547.3 KB 
ID:	41251  

Got it! Didnt quite have a reliable connection with the earth to the back of the volume pot!