Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: TL-1A (Alder body) First kit build.

By the way, can i take the fret out and clean, and then put it back? Anyone tried that with these kit necks?

Never tried it, and really you should use new fretwire as you will probably damage or twist the old one getting it out. But if you do try, make a mark so that you know which way it's currently facing, but put it back facing the other way. The barbs on the tangs should then be in a different place, so it should grip the sides of the slot again. Putting it back in the same way it will be loose.

Run a hot soldering iron over the fret first in case it's been stuck down with glue, and that should help free it. Then you really need some fret-pulling pincers with a ground side to them (so the edges are both sharp and the right next to the fretboard). Something like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61w+OcBH3kL._AC_SL1200_.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	41222

You should initially grip the base of the fret and not try to get the edges of the pincers under the fret until it's raised up a bit. This is when you'll probably scratch or twist the fret.

Quote Originally Posted by Zrgst View Post
    By the way, can i take the fret out and clean, and then put it back? Anyone tried that with these kit necks?
    You should do everything that Simon suggests...but if you are like me you should also expect to do a fair amount of work on the the fretboard after that, because there may be some pull out no matter how careful you are.

4. Liked by: Zrgst

Indeed. Best not to remove the fret if at all possible. Keep brushing solvent on and the ink should eventually disappear enough to not be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Never tried it, and really you should use new fretwire as you will probably damage or twist the old one getting it out. But if you do try, make a mark so that you know which way it's currently facing, but put it back facing the other way. The barbs on the tangs should then be in a different place, so it should grip the sides of the slot again. Putting it back in the same way it will be loose.

Run a hot soldering iron over the fret first in case it's been stuck down with glue, and that should help free it. Then you really need some fret-pulling pincers with a ground side to them (so the edges are both sharp and the right next to the fretboard). Something like these:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61w+OcBH3kL._AC_SL1200_.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	41222

You should initially grip the base of the fret and not try to get the edges of the pincers under the fret until it's raised up a bit. This is when you'll probably scratch or twist the fret.
    Ok, i don't think im going to attempt this without haveing spare fretwire on hand. I have managed to dampen the blue so it does not stand out so much. So i am just going to keep it as it is. But thank you for sharing your knowledge

If you have any, acetone (nail polish remover) is a more aggressive solvent which could be worth a try. And brushing it in with a toothbrush can help. I bought a number of cheap toothbrushes just dedicated to guitar brushing purposes.

I don't think your neck has any binding on, but be aware that acetone does soften and (eventually) dissolve binding, so maybe avoid using it if that's the case.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2