Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: TLA with built in amp and effects

...I just have to squeeze it all away tidily!
    "And for my next trick..."

I hope we get a sound demo when you're done. Is there a headphone out option?
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I'll do that for sure!
    Yes, the standard guitar output jack still works, as an out from the PX2, so it should also function as a headphone out, albeit in mono. The amp can be switched separate to the effects.
    There's also a 3.5mm jack input so you can play along with your favourite tunes.
    I'm waiting on the string ferrules and the micro USB charge cable for the battery before I can bolt everything up.
    I think it will JUST squeeze into the control cavity.....

OK it works! Threw a quick set of strings on it and messed with the setup a bit. Still waiting on the charge cable (need to cut another hole for that) and the string ferrules for through body strings.
    It sounds OK, quite loud, the selection of noises on the PX2 is a bit weird - what is 'gargle'??? I think I might need to replace the bridge pickup with a hot rail or something else as it is very thin and microphonic when turned up, the neck one sounds OK.
    The built in drum machine is a laugh, a regular one man band!
    I'll finish it up and record some sounds over the next few weeks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	almost done!.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	633.1 KB 
ID:	41245

4. Liked by: ross.pearson

Good stuff! Looking forward to the demos.

Having the speaker right next to the bridge probably doesn't' help with the microphonics. It's probably getting some magnetic field pickup direct from the speaker. If so, shielding won't help with that, you need mu metal. Presumably with the guitar plugged into an amp, the speaker cuts out? If so, with an amp, is the pickup still microphonic?

Sometimes it can be the bridge plate itself vibrating that causes the microphonics (as it's only held down at the rear). So get someone to hold the plate down whilst you play (or vice versa) and see if there's any improvement. A couple of screws at the front of the plate should cure it if so.

No point getting another pickup to cure a problem that may still be there when it's replaced.

And you might as well wind the bridge pickup up almost as far as it will go without fouling the strings to beef up the output.

Thanks guys
    Simon - that makes a lot of sense. I'm thinking a humbucker might sound better too as the sound in the bridge pickup is quite thin. I had a cheap hotrail style pickup in an old squier tele that I quite liked, I might try that anyway.
    I haven't tried it in the amp, the speakers can be switched separately to the effects, but I'd imagine you are right, it should not be an issue with the amp disengaged. I'll try it and let you know.

With the amp it works OK, no feedback, well no more than a tele anyway.
    The tone control is really used a lot with the onboard amp, luckily I replaced the capacitor with an orange one. It can sound pretty good and loud it adjusted correctly.
    Still some finishing to go, I need to add the charge cable and decide where I cut the hole for it, probably in the lower edge. Not sure about the exposed screws on the speakers, might put something tidier in there too. Also the string ferrules haven't arrived yet.
    Getting there. The setup isn't coming easy with this one, I might need a shim under the neck pocket as the adjusters are right at the bottom of their travel and still the action is high and neck straight.

The building is done! fitted the bone nut and the through body ferrules, as well as the charge port for the 5V mini-usb cable. I had to shim the neck a little as the bridge was at the lowest point to get a reasonable action with the neck straight, I used a thin slice of plastic from a blister pack. I also needed to tweak the bridge over to one side a little to centre the strings, only 0.5mm or so but enough to notice. operator error here!

Name:	finishing wiring.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	835.6 KB 
ID:	41257
    It all managed to be squirreled away without any extra holes in the front or back which I wanted.
    I tidied up the ports for the USB charge and 3.5mm input jacks by JB weld stainless washers around the holes I had cut, I think it looks tidy enough:

Name:	ports.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	561.9 KB 
ID:	41258
    So it's all together. Deliberately it's a mash of bits, there's some gold hardware and some reliced chrome. For some reason I have kept the neck and headstock all new looking. It has been nice to not be so serious in keeping everything perfect or trying to get a super realistic relic job on it all:

Name:	testing.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	672.8 KB 
ID:	41259

Name:	back final.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	214.7 KB 
ID:	41261
    It all works, both speakers and all the pickups and effects. 40 different channels - I'm a bass player and don't usually even adjust my EQ so I have a lot to learn!
    First full charge of the battery:

Name:	nearly done.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	683.9 KB 
ID:	41260
    As the battery is hidden in the body I can't see the LED display showing the charge level, but it had been on for a couple of hours during testing and it was still showing full charge when I was finalising the wiring, so that's good news.
    Now to do the shakedown, tweak the intonation, pickups and action and check the frets again. Once I have done that I'll record some sounds, better practice my playing first
    The amp I'm using in the project cost $5, and the speakers $35, so I'm happy with the result! I can't remember the cost of the battery, it wasn't huge for the capacity, maybe $20, and the Pandora PX2 was a throw out from my mate - happy days!
    Last edited by Andyxlh; 13-08-2021 at 01:31 PM.

I love this. Honestly awesome.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast