Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: TLA with built in amp and effects

TLA with built in amp and effects

This TL1A kit has been hanging around for a while in the workshop, and was going to be a gift for a mate in the UK next time I see him. Going to be a while, and deep in a Sydney lock down, so...
    In the box of bits I found a Pandora PX1 with a dodgy input jack, some slimline speakers and I have a 3W digital amp from a project at work, so.....
    I'm a bit of a way through already, so I'll post some catch-up pictures below:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tele 2.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	790.0 KB 
ID:	41134
    Routing out the body, the speakers give about 4mm thickness of wood left. There's one in the back too as the PX is stereo.

Name:	tele 1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	438.4 KB 
ID:	41135
    TurboTele - not the best name but meh...

Name:	Tele 3.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	780.8 KB 
ID:	41136
    Butchering the back of the Pandora, ugly, but it all works

Name:	Pandora PX.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	966.7 KB 
ID:	41137
    Paint - it will be a relic body and hardware, surf green (when I have finished with it )

Name:	tele paint (2).jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	41138

This is the TL51 I did a couple of years ago, and this is the way the finish will come out on this one when done (same basecoat blue):

Name:	IMG_1812.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	451.1 KB 
ID:	41139

The Lab salutes you Sir, your membership to the Ig0r Society is hereby approved and you have full access rights to the Lab should you require! Congratulations.
    Ig0r wishes to know if you need any electrodes, as he has several spare sets.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    The Lab salutes you Sir, your membership to the Ig0r Society is hereby approved and you have full access rights to the Lab should you require! Congratulations.
    Ig0r wishes to know if you need any electrodes, as he has several spare sets.
    If I feel the way i did this morning tomorrow, I'll borrow some to wake me up.

Oh this is gonna be good.

5V battery - a mobile phone charger backup, with USB in and out (Micro USB for charging).
    I'm running an extension to the charge circuit, and it doesn't need to be switched on as the demand turns it on and off so I can hide it under the scratchplate
    It's a 5V digital amp, 2x3W

Class D amp, rather than digital? D does not stand for ‘digital’ in class D, it’s a pulse width modulated amplification system.

What current draw does your Pandora have? 6W of class D amp output is about 6.6W input power, or just over 1.3 amps at 5v. That leaves about 700mA at 5v for the Pandora from a 2A 5v USB output. If your rechargeable power block has two outputs, it might be best to power the amp from one and the Pandora from the other just in case any current limiting kicks in when you turn it up. I’ve tried reading the Pandora manuals but they don’t state any current draw values, but a digital processor is going to consume a fair bit I’d have thought.

My version runs of two 9v batteries: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-168_dviOw
    Taking it all apart and finishing it properly will probably be next year's project.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Class D amp, rather than digital? D does not stand for ‘digital’ in class D, it’s a pulse width modulated amplification system.

What current draw does your Pandora have? 6W of class D amp output is about 6.6W input power, or just over 1.3 amps at 5v. That leaves about 700mA at 5v for the Pandora from a 2A 5v USB output. If your rechargeable power block has two outputs, it might be best to power the amp from one and the Pandora from the other just in case any current limiting kicks in when you turn it up. I’ve tried reading the Pandora manuals but they don’t state any current draw values, but a digital processor is going to consume a fair bit I’d have thought.
    Hi Simon,
    That sounds right - thank you
    The PX2 says 2 AA batteries will run it for 12 hours, I'm guessing the current draw must be smallish? Even if that's overcooking it, 2xAA won't deliver much current for 6 hours, will they?
    I have tested it at full whack and it seems OK on the single output, it will be easier to wire it up like that, but if it gives me a problem I'll know where to look!
    I'll re-test and let you know how it goes

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast