Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: My first build: left-handed JM-1L

As McCreed says, scale length/hole distance sounds fine, so it’s just the hole diameter that’s wrong. I can’t see it shrinking by the 1mm or so it would need to close by to be tight. The body would have to shrink by 10% or so to do that, which would be around 30mm of lost body length and the scale length would then be around 15mm out.

Thanks for the help so far. PBG are sending me a new kit via express post and I'll send the other one back. So hopefully I can pick this back up in a week or so.

That's a good result IMO.

Will be watching for the do-over!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I got the new kit yesterday, they accidentally sent me an ash body, which looks really nice. They said I can keep it, so free upgrade.
    The bushings are tight half way in, so I won't push them any further at this point. The neck fits better too with less gap at the end.

I did some sanding and started on the frets. It seems to be going pretty well, but will take a while since this is the first time I've done it.
    I was carefully filing one fret for ten minutes and it didn't do much, so at this rate it will take several hours.

I was carefully filing one fret for ten minutes and it didn't do much, so at this rate it will take several hours.
    Your first fret level and dress should take up to several hours IMO because there is a learn-as-you-go curve.
    However, ten minutes is a long time for one fret, especially if you're not seeing a result. Can you explain your process? Maybe what tools you're using?

I could file a fret right down to the fretboard in that amount of time. (not recommended BTW, just sayin')

Haha yeah I think my file is not very good. I just picked up some old wood files that I found in the workshop of my wife's grandfather. I'm just trying to carefully file each side so that it stays even and ends up roughly rounded. I also started on a fret that was one of the higher ones, so it is now quite flat and needs more taken off.

Quote Originally Posted by jarro_2783 View Post
    Haha yeah I think my file is not very good. I just picked up some old wood files that I found in the workshop of my wife's grandfather. I'm just trying to carefully file each side so that it stays even and ends up roughly rounded. I also started on a fret that was one of the higher ones, so it is now quite flat and needs more taken off.
    I can't say for certain without physically seeing the files, but typically those type of files are too coarse for doing good fret work.

How did you level the frets before trying to crown them?

I found some quite small triangular files. They seem pretty fine, so I was thinking they would be not coarse enough if anything.
    I put sandpaper on a flat edge, drew marker on the frets, then rubbed until the last fret had a tiny bit of marker come off. I checked them all with a flat piece of plastic (woolworths everyday rewards card works as a good fret rocker).
    Last edited by jarro_2783; 29-07-2021 at 10:31 AM.

3 frets down I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit more. I was probably trying to be too careful and taking too much off the side more than just rounding out the flat top. The last one was only a couple of minutes. Only 18 more to go!

I've done the frets, it's probably not the most amazing job in the world but I think they look pretty good for a first attempt. I'll find out when I play it I guess.

I thought I'd check the wiring of the pots with a multimeter, I think they did the volume backwards. When I look down at the knob 10 is showing where the resistance is at 500k. I'm assuming I can just unsolder and swap the two outside pins.

I keep getting confused about tone pots though. Would you expect 10 to be full resistance so that no signal is shorted to ground through the cap? Or would 10 mean full high pass filter?

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast