Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: My first build: left-handed JM-1L

That all makes sense. I think with the acoustic because the strings are thicker there is a lot more slack since they come higher out of the bridge, so I've never really thought about it when I just pull it loosely through the hole, and by the time it is wound tight there are already a couple of turns around the post.

With this one I guess I just pulled it through too much. I suppose this is also what the floyd rose is for, because it all gets locked in and can't go anywhere. I wouldn't mind building the SV-1L at some point, but I think the next one I can justify is a bass, because at least then I have one of each type of instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Pull the string through the hole and measure about two tuners distance /4-5cm of string past it. I put a 90° kink in it, pull it back to the post with the string end upwards, hold that end whilst pulling the string back sharply to get a good kink in the neck length side it as it comes out of the hole, wind it round once manually and then wind it on. Never had any string slippage. Some people like to do locking or jamming turns and stuff, but I don't see any benefit and it makes it harder to change strings quickly.
    Hey Simon, I'm having trouble picturing that. I think the end result is the same as my method, but not sure. Can you post a pic?

I use what I call the "over/under" method, where I have one loop above the string coming through the hole, then the remaining turns under.
    Like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	String post wrap edit.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	41780

The A string is what I shoot for with my wound strings (I misjudged the E length on this one ). If you zoom in, you'll see I go with 4 wraps under on the solid strings.
    Last edited by McCreed; 06-10-2021 at 07:04 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Well I kind of like the look of this one https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...e-left-handed/
    not sure how hard it will be to find a nut for that, and I can't tell what it comes with, just that it is black. At least the one in the picture looks like it is the right way around.

I will definitely be emailing to check if the nut is correct next time

Well I kind of like the look of this one https://www.pitbullguitars.com/shop/...e-left-handed/...
    That looks pretty cool, but what are the extra two strings for????

This is my very standard way of winding the string on (I obviously couldn't find my small cutters the day I restrung it as I'd normally trim the string end far closer to the post).

I've tried the 'Crimson Guitars' way of doing the same sort of wind but starting by winding the string around the post twice, and then putting the string end through the hole. No idea how they managed it as for me it only works on the thin strings. Once you get to a wound string, it's almost impossible to pull the string through without leaving a big loop sticking out, and that doesn't get flattened when you wind up to pitch. The only good point is that you know exactly how many winds you've got round the post. But you can't get a good kink in the string both sides of the post hole, which is where a lot of the grip comes from.

This is my very standard way of winding the string on (I obviously couldn't find my small cutters the day I restrung it as I'd normally trim the string end far closer to the post).
    That is different to my method... well, not mine, but the method the method I was taught a very long time ago.
    I'm not familiar with the Crimson way. I'll have to check out YT just for comparison.

There is a technique I've seen that involves bending a little "hook" into the string or something that's supposed to lock the string into place, but I can never remember it so I stick to what I know and what works for me .

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10