Thread: Guitar tool organization solution

Guitar tool organization solution

Hey everyone, now that I'm getting close to wrapping up my first build, I now have a bunch of luthier's tools, I just looked and I have every tool in the "PIT BULL GUITARS INSTRUCTION MANUAL" from the "What Tools do I need" section all the way to the "Really nice tools to have" section. Granted I already had a lot of those tools and they already have a home on my tool bench and tool racks, but can anyone recommend a storage solution for the very "luthier specific" tool set? I'm looking at a "tackle box" style tool box but I'm getting overwhelmed with all the options out there, does anyone have a specific make/model that's about the right size? Thanks in advance!

I was collecting too much as well - so opted for a tool trolley.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-...olley_p0176022

Possibly overkill - but it is getting filled.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

I’m in the throes of building a complete tool wall with a French cleat system. It will put all of my hand held power and luthier specific tooling at easy reach of my workbench. It will also allow the lower part of my tool chest to be dedicated to Car/bike specific tools, which will free up shelf space for templates and jigs, which will allow me to clean off the other workbench to set up drop saw and router table, which will necessitate taking the raw timber and pallet siding off the storage racking to make way for paint, finish and adhesives, and this should clear the way for me to build another rack more project storage……because I need more projects……
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Thanks for all of the replies, and colin2121, that's along the lines of what I'm thinking of. To elaborate on my earlier post, I was thinking about something long enough to house a neck leveling straightedge but not so big that there's a bunch of unused space.

All my luthier tools are kept in a 19"/48cm Stanley plastic tool case, for now at least. I'm going to need another as I've just got some more radius blocks which make it all of a squeeze. And finding stuff when it's full isn't that easy. So don't overfill it. I have a few of those Stanley boxes, but I won't get any more as the plastic hinges snap too easily, or at least parts of the hinge break off. Still allows you to fit and shut the lid, but it keeps falling off so you have to refit it every time.

I probably wouldn't recommend going smaller than 19"/48cm, as a few of my tools wouldn't fit in anything shorter. But obviously you need to be able to store it conveniently, so don't go too big if you are limited for space.

What is this "tool organisation" of which you speak of???
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    It is actually a place to hide any "new" tools and hardware!
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

8. Liked by: dozymuppet, Rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Doesn't it involve tossing your tools in to a couple of draws?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    I’m in the throes of building a complete tool wall with a French cleat system. It will put all of my hand held power and luthier specific tooling at easy reach of my workbench. It will also allow the lower part of my tool chest to be dedicated to Car/bike specific tools, which will free up shelf space for templates and jigs, which will allow me to clean off the other workbench to set up drop saw and router table, which will necessitate taking the raw timber and pallet siding off the storage racking to make way for paint, finish and adhesives, and this should clear the way for me to build another rack more project storage……because I need more projects……
    Mmmm....all I heard was French Cleat. Keep talking Frankie