Thread: P Bass Headstock Template

P Bass Headstock Template

Hi everybody

Does anyone have a template that fits the Pitbull P bass headstock in a standard fender P bass shape.
    The Fender ones you can download don't line up with the PitBull machine head holes.

My freehand isnt good.

Just so i can put it on some MDF and use it to route to the shape.

Cheers

Tim

Assuming the tuner holes are spaced the same as the template you have, then you can possibly still use it. You may simply have the tuners closer to the edge than the template, which should be fine. (This was one of the first questions I had when I started my JB 4 build).

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I'm afraid you'll just have to adapt an existing one. The whole shape of the Pit Bull kit headstock blanks is slightly different from the originals (though they've varied themselves over time). On the bass side, the distance from the nut to the top of headstock where it meets that upper curve is a bit longer. I can't say exactly by how much on the P bass but on a Strat-style one its about 1cm longer. The tuner holes all move further away as well,a s well as the spacing not being an exact match.

I used an existing template, printed it out and positioned it as best I could on the headstock blank. As that extra 1cm pushed the headstock further away from the body, and the hole spacing was stretched out compared to the original, I used the last hole (top E on the Strat) as the basis for positioning the end of the headstock to avoid making the end of the headstock too far away from the nut.

It's a small compromise, and unless you compare the shapes next to each other, it's not something you'd notice.

thanks gentlemen for the guidance

If you are handy with the computer you might want to consider tracing the template onto a vector program and resizing it to fit the tuner holes of the PB headstock..

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    If you are handy with the computer you might want to consider tracing the template onto a vector program and resizing it to fit the tuner holes of the PB headstock..
    Not having those particular skills...I did some tracings on paper and scanned them.

I traced the PB paddle, and then traced a Kmise "Fender" bass headstock. Then I superimposed one over the other...

Not as precise as what Rabbit suggests, but perhaps it's close enough for Jazz...or a Precision.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pbassHS.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	41104

You could resize the jpg so that a printout fits your paddle. Alternatively, if you PM me, I can send you a PDF which I *think* is to scale. Or I can send you the Libre Office Draw file that I created the image with.