Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello World! My first guitar project

Thanks McCreed!

I'm regretting not doing it before I buffed and polished the body actually. Obviously there's overspray onto the edges and the front, so I'm worried about how that will react with the wax I used... hopefully it all cleans up nicely.

I'm also regretting not installing a bone nut when I first got the neck. I'm definitely compiling a list of tips and tricks from this build.

The plastic nut did not come out gently.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210926_101613.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	803.3 KB 
ID:	41719

Despite scoring along the finish on all sides, it still took some paint from the headstock side. Fortunately that's a completely black area so touched it up later with a sharpie, and will mask off and wipe on some poly in the future.

Name:	IMG_20210926_101631.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	686.2 KB 
ID:	41720

The bone nut fit perfectly. Just a tiny amount of sanding to get the width exact. I used a really small amount of wood glue to adhere it, just to keep it from moving during low bends etc, as the friction fit is really tight.

Name:	IMG_20210926_123649.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	774.5 KB 
ID:	41721

There are fine gaps around the nut that I'd like to try and fill, I think I have some maple dust in a container that I might be able to make a filler from.

Hey all, I guess people come and go on this site all the time. I came, I went, I'm back again =)

Since I've been gone I've started a new job and had a lot of things going on, so no time to work on guitars or really do anything hobby wise.

I've just repainted the body for what feels like the 10th time, hopefully the final clear coats went on today. I kept blowing through the clear when sanding, it was driving me insane. I'm planning to take a lot more care this time, but we'll see.

I missed having this ready for my friends bucks, that's been and gone, but it should be ready for the wedding. I'm sure the bride will be ecstatic about the gift. I should probably make something else as well. =)

I'm sure the bride will be ecstatic about the gift. I should probably make something else as well. =)
    Another guitar. His & Hers
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Another guitar. His & Hers
    Only if they delay the wedding by another 12 months at the rate I work, haha.

I wired it all up today, got noise from the pups and the selector and knobs work as intended, so that's good. No strings on it yet. Aside from string trees and strap buttons, the last job is to fret level and dress, plus filing the nut, all of which I'm really not looking forward to. But also kinda looking forward to. Mostly because I think my gibson really badly needs a fret level and dress, so if I don't screw this tele up, that guitar is next.

I'm on holidays, so I'm very tempted to go get another lump of vic ash from Austim and make a start on #2. Will definitely make the neck on the next one, just because.

Had the suit fitting for the groomsmen today, and coincidentally I finally got strings on.

I cannot recommend the Guyker locking tuners. I really, really cannot recommend them. You're better off just getting a good set of standard tuners. High E and B can't be locked. I prefere a light guage, so I've loaded it up with D'Addario XL 9-42's. The 9 and 11 just will not get grabbed by the locks in the tuners at all, so those strings are essentially standard wound.

Aside from that glaring issue, there is a ridiculous amount of play. There's at least a 1/5 - 1/6 of a turn of play if you change tuning direction. i.e. if you tune sharp and then need to wind it back a bit, there's a significant amount of play in the tuner before it starts to grab in the other direction. Enough that I initially thought the stings were somehow binding in the nut.

I completed the string level and crowning last week. I think I could have done a better job, but I'm relatively happy with it. I should have spent more time on crowning, but it plays and sounds just fine.

The action is okay but could use some filing at the nut. The bridge is intonated. Made some minor tweaks to the electosocket to keep the cable more firmly secured.

All that's left is string trees and strap buttons and this thing is in the bag. I'll see about a demo video tomorrow, it actually sounds pretty decent.

I'd send the tuners back if the returns window hasn't expired. Standard guitar tuners will be better than dodgy locking ones.

The tuners are one of the key string contact/anchor points and they need to be stable and well attached to get the best out of the guitar.

yeah definitely past the return period unfortunately. Can't afford replacements at this stage so they'll have to do. I'll see about replacing them in the future though, I'll be seeing this guitar pretty regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    No spare kit tuners lying around?
    That's what I was thinking also. Presumably the Guyker were an "upgrade" (or not so much) the stock tuners should still have been included in the kit.

Despite the kit tuners being regularly labelled as "cheap" they'd be way better than the sloppy ones you've got now.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast