Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SX Jazz Bass Mod

SX Jazz Bass Mod

Years ago, I bought an SX bass for about $100 because on Talkbass people said it was cheap and decent and good for mods. As I was contemplating doing the neck work on my kit build projects, I have ended up trying them on the SX first. To my surprise, it went from playing OK to feeling really good. So I did some more mods... Ultimately it had acquired a bone nut, Gotoh Res-o-lite tuners, Schaller straplocks, A Warmoth pickguard, and new control plate, some routing to accommodate a P-bass pups, a set of EMG Geezer Butler PJ pickups and wiring harness. At this point the only things un-changed or un-modded are the string tree and the bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	black_jazz.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	41033

So, now I would like to get it to be lighter. It weighs in at about 4.5 kilos. I'd like to shave at a kilo off. So, I have acquired another paulownia body. I also have gotten some string ferrules to make it string-through and a high mass bridge to help it balance.

I am going to treat the body with as much wood hardener (PC Petrifier) as it will take. Once that's done, Ill see how it looks and whether it's worth trying some sort of a clear finish or a solid color. Depends on how it looks at that point.

I'd welcome suggestions about a color that would go with the pickguard and amber neck. I am not unhappy with the current black, but if I am doing it over.... Maybe a dark blue if it's clear or cream if it's solid?

My only bass is an SX P-style short scale. I paid $30 for it used. I changed out the pots, shielded it and did a set up and it's a great little bass for someone that is not a bass player! It allows me do put down some rudimentary basslines on my looper or recordings, so I'm happy.

Now, about your modding plans...
    I would caution against stripping that body. It's very likely a polyester finish on there and that stuff is bloody near bullet-proof. It can be removed, but don't bother with any kind of solvent or paint stripper, the guitar will just laugh at you. Yes, it can be sanded off, but it is f*****g hard work. I know this from stripping a Squier Bullet many years ago.

In the end I had to resort to a heat gun and putty knife. And when the poly gets hot enough to flake off it is hot as lava and it "pops" and shards fly everywhere. If you go this route, wear eye protection!. (and long sleeves)

If you hate the black enough to want to change it, rough sand it, prime it and spray it a different colour. I'll be willing to bet the wood you would find underneath would not be conducive to a natural finish and likely made up of at least several unmatched pieces.

I know this goes nowhere toward getting it lighter in weight, but I think it's a case of "it is what it is".
    Last edited by McCreed; 15-07-2021 at 01:25 PM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by colin2121 View Post
    I think fender3x is talking about the Paulownia body he acquired, not the SX body
    True. My plan is to replace the body rather than refinish it, precisely for the reason McCreed's has indicated. I thought about chambering the body and refinishing...but it just seemed like it would be too much of a pain to deal with the old finish. McCreed's advice makes me feel better about the decision not to trying to strip the old bod!

I think fender3x is talking about the Paulownia body he acquired, not the SX body
    D'oh!!! I missed that part!
    Pay no attention to me... nothing to see here... carry on...

Cream body with that pickguard I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by blinddrew View Post
    Cream body with that pickguard I reckon.
    That's my inclination if I don't use something translucent.

Neon pink candy!

I actually like the combination of SFG with a red pearloid pickguard. I've had red tortoise and ruby pearloid on my SFG strat at different times.

I don't talk about it much, 'cause I know it's a contentious issue around here

....Actually after checking, none of my friends have sea foam green guitars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast