Thread: How is the SV-1 wired up

How is the SV-1 wired up

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how the 5 way switch is connected and what the tone pot does on the SV-1? I can't quite work out from the wiring diagram, would the switch be similar to a strat? Does the tone pot adjust all pickups or only some of them?

The wiring will be very similar to that of a Strat, with the exception of there being a common tone pot for all the pickups, instead of a tone for the middle pickup and a tone for the bridge pickup like a Strat has. So the common tone control is really the only difference to a Strat.

Thanks for your help!

The only thing I'd add is that, as far as I can tell from the wiring diagram, the kit switching does not split the humbuckers in the 2 & 4 positions like a real Ibanez. To achieve the Ibanez switching scheme you would need 4 conductor humbuckers, and I think the kit HB's are only 2 conductor.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Does the Ibanez make 2 and 4 positions effectively the same as having the middle and neck/bridge as single coils? So then only 1 and 5 give you the full humbucker, is that what you mean?

Does the Ibanez make 2 and 4 positions effectively the same as having the middle and neck/bridge as single coils? So then only 1 and 5 give you the full humbucker, is that what you mean?
    Yes, it's called "auto split". No push-pull pot required. Standard 5-way lever switch.
    Position 2 gives one coil of the bridge HB and the middle SC. Position 4 gives one coil of the neck HB plus the middle SC.
    The HB's coils are split so that they are RWRP to the middle SC thus still being hum-cancelling.

edit- like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ibanez HSH.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	79.1 KB 
ID:	41035

Edited again to correct switch position numbering
    Last edited by McCreed; 16-07-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Ibanez gives you

1) Bridge humbucker
    2) Split Bridge + middle
    3) Middle
    4) Middle + split neck
    5) Neck humbucker

So positions 2, 3 and 4 are all quite Strat like

The wiring on a Jem will also add in a switched pot to always bring in one of the humbucker outputs in addition to what else is selected, so unlike the standard wiring, you can also get the two humbuckers in parallel, (like the mid position on a Les Paul), as well as an 'all three pickups on' selection (plus three duplicated positions).

Sorry, I just realised I got my switch position numbering arse-about!

Simon's 1-5 layout was what I meant, and I have edited my post so not to confuse anyone else!

Oh nice, good to know. I guess one can always buy separate parts and customise it as you want though as well.

FWIW, I've worked on quite few Ibanez models with the switching arrangement above, and when I play them I find it very useable without needing extra toggles or push-pull pots. Nice and simple.

I haven't found an Ibanez neck that I would really be happy with, otherwise I'd probably own one. I certainly haven't tried them all and the ones I've worked on have mostly been shredder kind of guitars. Wide and thin just doesn't do it for me. I have no idea what the IB and SV kit necks are like.