Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tips on finishing basswood

Is poly for the clear coat, which Colin said I could also Scandinavian oil for?
    Yes, poly is used as the top coat. There are polymerising oils like Scandinavian Oil which you can also use. It's all personal preference, providing the top coat is compatible with what under it.

There is a wipe on at bunnings which is $39 for a litre, so the above plus turps only works out a little bit cheaper once you thin it, so now I'm not really sure what I'm looking at.
    Yes. The Cabothane is what many here use (including myself) but 1 litre is way more than you would use on one guitar.
    I buy the 250ml can, which cost $14 and it lasts me ages. For example: I generally only use it on necks, and I spray it with a gun, but the last neck I did, I used about 120 ml of poly/turps mixed at 60/40. It was approximately 12 sprayed coats. Wiping on will go on much much thinner and build-up will be slower.

Note: 60% of 120ml mixture equals 72ml of poly.

Another question. Is there anything that you can substitute for Tru Oil? I saw this post https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.a...l=1#post199734 and thought that the basswood came up quite nicely with the oil not being tinted.
    Some people have had success with a 'home-brew Tru Oil", but I had no luck with it. YMMV.
    Tru Oil has boiled linseed oil in it, thus giving it a slight amber tint naturally.

Poly can be very lightly tinted to the same degree or any colour for that matter. Untinted poly will also change the appearance of the wood, albeit less amber than Tru Oil. Poly tends to age less (called yellowing by some) than Tru Oil, but it will age.
    Last edited by McCreed; 13-07-2021 at 06:20 AM.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ok great, that makes sense. So if you use poly on the neck, what do you use on the body?

Also is anything needed for the fretboard? I've seen people just lightly oil it with lemon oil but nothing else, is that enough?

Ok great, that makes sense. So if you use poly on the neck, what do you use on the body?
    Again, personal preference. I have done bodies with lacquer, polyurethane and Tru Oil. My last few builds were acrylic lacquer on the body, satin poly on the necks. I just don't care for the feel of lacquer on necks any more, so switched to poly.

Also is anything needed for the fretboard? I've seen people just lightly oil it with lemon oil but nothing else, is that enough?
    General practise is no top coat on rosewood, just oil. Maple fretboard, whatever goes on the back, goes on the fretboard.
    That's not to say you can't clear coat rosewood, it's just not necessary and most people/manufacturers don't do it.
    However, using an oil like lemon oil is not recommended on maple for a number of reasons.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ok great, thanks heaps for your help. Now I just have to wait for this model to be back in stock. It looks like it literally sold out yesterday

Duplicolor spray lacquer works great on the Basswood kits. You get a nice smooth finish and it is pretty easy to apply. (2 cans is more than enough, as the wood doesn't have open grain like a mahogany it doesn't need as much prep either)
    If you don't polish it a nice semigloss finish is easily achievable, If you wet sand and polish you can get a really glossy finish.

When using stains i find if you get the blotching, steel wool or fine grit pads allow you to blend it in. It does require sanding and patience but it will work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2