Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gpb-4m

Quote Originally Posted by glenwilliam View Post
    Oops I did it again.
    Hah!!!

I recently posted a thread with that as the title!

These things happen...
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Thinking about colours and considering sticking with acrylic this time. With my P Bass I used nitro in Surf Green from Sydney guitar setups but I am thinking of going a different direction here.

Anyone had a go with these?
    https://www.eckersleys.com.au/liquit...y-paints-400ml

Any reason why this wouldn't work with timbermate filler?

Should work OK with Timbermate.

Finish looks to be between matt and satin, so if you wanted a shiny finish, then you’d need to find a compatible clear gloss coat.

Probably best to experiment on some scrap first. So far I haven't had any dramas using the clear I use with different base coats.

1+ on experimenting

According to the mfg's website it's a matte finish. It looks very similar to the spray paint I have gotten the best results with, MTN94:

https://www.montanacolors.com/en/pro...l-spray-paint/

They even have the same colored cap ring...which made me wonder.

So I went searching to see if anyone had compared them, and I found this video:

I have not tried Liquitex, but I can tell you that for a solid color I really like the MTN94. It has a very high solid content, so it's coverage and opacity are great. It's low velocity, so you have to get closer to the object than you ordinarily would. I am normally quite good at causing drips in spray paint, and bad at preventing them. I have yet to have a drip with the MTN94. It also builds fairly quickly--almost like a filling primer. Speaking of which, it also does not need primer. The MFG says that there is no problem using it without primer, but you may need a bit more. I have not found that to be the case though. Two coats is sufficient for coverage. I put on a few more purely to prevent sanding mistakes. It is sold primarily in art stores, as is the Liquitex, I think, but it's priced about like big box spray paint...here in the US at least.

I have not tried the other paint she uses, the Montana Gold. I have tried Montana Black--their nitro spray paint. Nice, but I am trying to avoid using toxic paints, and there did not seem to be much advantage to it in my tests over the MTN94.

One thing I did see in the comparison websites was that Liquitex is not recommended for outdoor use, while MTN94 can be used indoor and outdoor, which may mean you could have trouble with a water based top coat. I have found that the MTN does not seem to be bothered at all by water after letting it cure completely. You do need to let it cure for about three weeks before flat sanding, but once it's cured, water does not seem to bother it. I have had it splatter, or get that sandpaper feel. I even had a few drops of rain fall on it one day. In every case, it sanded out just fine.

Both MTN94 and Liquitex are matte finishes. I actually like this. Matte paint generally goes on flatter than gloss paint--but you will need a clearcoat.

If do you use the Liquitex please post on how it goes. I see it in every arts and craft store here, and have been tempted to try it. It's said to be a little pricier than the MTN94, but I see them for around the same price most of the time.
    Last edited by fender3x; 10-12-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Seems a shame to go a solid colour over ash.

Just sayin'.....
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by fender3x View Post

If do you use the Liquitex please post on how it goes. I see it in every arts and craft store here, and have been tempted to try it. It's said to be a little pricier than the MTN94, but I see them for around the same price most of the time.
    Will do! thanks for all the info and that video. I will also suss out the MTN94.
    Happy to at least test on some craps and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Seems a shame to go a solid colour over ash.

Just sayin'.....
    Yeah but maybe I want a lilac bass ok? :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast