Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: No, YOU have too many unfinished projects...

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    It is the the same number as the optimum number of guitars, N+1, N being the number of projects you currently have going. you just have to make sure that you keep everything separate and organised.

Current FrankenLab tally: 4 kits, 1 neck, 5 scratch bodies, 1 tool wall (Framing, cladding and French cleat system), 1 Timber rack, and a downstairs renovation.
    So far the timber rack is complete, framing is underway, pending arrival of pickups. A body glue up has happened, some paint is applied, though getting a sunburst around windows is quite an art. Renovation render has gone up but unfortunately the scale length and fretwork on the tiling seems to intonate out. I feel one or two of the ceramic tiles seem to sound flat.
    I have tried adjusting the truss rod, but that just put the door jamb out of square. Not sure where to go to from here, may have to convert it to a home office.
    OK, excellent, I will let her know.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Lunchtime routing:

The router decided that the bottom horn was a little bit too sharp, so it will be eased off somewhat when I start tidying things up.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    ai should not have let Igor see that. Very nice work, apart from the router directed mod. Like where this one is going.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Looks like the main body's lower horn is smaller than that we can currently see on the top, so in reality only a small modification needs to be made. Lucky!

Maybe saw the excess off rather than risk the router?

Yep, already done

Forstner time.

Moving right along...

Dozy, how are you joining the edges of your top and bottom pieces? Do you have a jointer?

This is one concern keeping me from making a multi-piece body blank. I don't mind spending some dough on wider bar clamps, but can't justify any expenses on extra machinery.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Clamps and a prayer.

Top is two pieces. Bottom is three. I let titebond do the job from there, though there is a little bit of levelling involved. Grateful for my shinto rasp.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Moving right along...

Dozy, how are you joining the edges of your top and bottom pieces? Do you have a jointer?

This is one concern keeping me from making a multi-piece body blank. I don't mind spending some dough on wider bar clamps, but can't justify any expenses on extra machinery.
    You don't "need" a jointer for stuff like that. Many manage just fine with either the right blade on a table saw /circular saw, or failing that, a jointing plane. If you realy feel the need for power tools, there are several You Tube vids about turning an electric plane into a jointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
    You don't "need" a jointer for stuff like that. Many manage just fine with either the right blade on a table saw /circular saw, or failing that, a jointing plane. If you realy feel the need for power tools, there are several You Tube vids about turning an electric plane into a jointer.
    Wholeheartedly agree Rabbs, I have spent a great deal of time teaching myself how to joint manually. It’s a skill that comes in very handy for any number of luthiery/carpentry/cabinetmaking tasks.
    I’ve seen a number of those planer to jointer vids. Can’t says I’d be keen to do so.
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast