Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Grandpa's First Build

Grandpa's First Build

Probably my first and last. Model AES-1. Picked that one because it looks similar to one I owned when I was 17 in 1962. Cost me two weeks wages. Got stolen from under my bed while in the Australian Army. Mongrel, hope he didn't survive Nam.( well at least lost his left thumb).
    Anyway I need an answer. The wiring diagram I have for the guitar shows a ground wire from the Bridge volume pot to the Bridge.

Where on the bridge should I solder it??
    Appreciate any advice..

Cheers from Grandpa ( Longprong7)

The wire isn't soldered to the bridge. If you look inside the treble side bridge post hole, there should be a small hole leading through into the main guitar body cavity.

Just before you fit the bridge post inserts, you strip about 1cm of insulation from the end of the wire, poke most of the wire through into the cavity, then bend over the bare end of the wire, and gently push the rest through so that only the bare end remains, pointing downwards. You then fit the bridge post bushing, trapping the wire between the side of the hole and the bushing.

This does mean that soldering the other end of the wire to the back of a pot is one of the last things you do on the guitar, and is a bit awkward because you need to do it in situ. You can't do it in advance as you'd never get the ground wire through the hole in reverse. However, some people have fitted a push-fit crimp connector in-line on this ground wire, which means that the two tasks can be separated.

Thanks Simon, much appreciated

Hello Simon, a bit confused at first, hole was covered but have found it ok. Thank goodness I found that out before installing the bridge post bushing.

Cheers

Jim

5. Liked by: dave.king1

It's not the end of the world if you had already put the bushing in as it can always be removed and re-inserted. But it's a lot easier to do it right first time. Always ask a question if you are unsure.

where I should be I guess, problem , my guitar neck, is dead straight and my frets are completely level. As per the notched straight edge the other thingy across three frets.
    What should I do'
    Cheers

Grandpa Jim

Nothing. If it's fine, leave it. The frets will probably benefit from a polish, but leave that until the end in case you mark them during the rest of construction; though it may be an idea to put masking tape over them now to stop that happening.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210708_192936[1].jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	40971Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210225_130110[1].jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	40972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210219_091311.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	230.1 KB 
ID:	40973 Yes yes its not a guitar. But its 3 years of 1 day a week and i'm showing off

10. Liked by: OliSam

A small steam launch! That's absolutely lovely.

Or else it's an illicit still made to look like a boiler on a boat!

The guitar is looking very good.

nope she a steam launch,all homebuilt. Still is hidden.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast