Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bass kit strings

Bass kit strings

More of a curiosity than a problem, but I was wondering what type/brand of strings come with 4 string bass kits?

I decided to put the stings on another bass because I'll be buying strings for a couple of my basses when the kit is complete/ready for strings. However these strings feel odd and sound tinny, also they are dull looking and sound slightly dull.

I think they may even be stainless steel, but would love to know exactly what brand etc they are.

Any feedback is much appreciated, because it's been on my mind for a week or two.
    Last edited by Fuzzyworbols; 24-06-2021 at 11:35 AM.

The standard kit ‘strings’, for both guitar and bass, are awful and should be thrown away, or only used for initial testing. They are the cheapest of the cheap Chinese strings, with poor sustain, variable diameter along the length, don’t intonate properly, sound weird and have variable output from string to string. Only provided by the factory IMO to fulfil the ’complete’ DIY kit premise. The guitar kits get a set of proper Ernie Balls added by Pit Bull, but the cost of doing that for the bass kits would put the price up too much and make them seem less competitive against other kit sellers.

The best thing you can do with the kit strings is use them for feral animal snares. Unfortunately bass players have to take it up the arse when it comes to sting price for decent stings, so as Simon says, it would put the price of the kits up, but then, you end up having to spend the extra money any way .

It's all perception. If Pit Bull added on a set of decent strings at cost price, at say AU$35, then a large number of people looking at a similar bass kit that had the standard awful set included, would just see the Pit Bull kit as more expensive.

But maybe it would be possible for them to offer discounted bass string sets when you bought the kit. I don't know what deal they've got with Ernie Ball (as they are supplied with the guitar kits), but if there is an arrangement in place, then maybe it could extend to bass strings as well?

Edit: Just checked the site and Pit Bull do now sell Ernie Ball bass strings, though at a price just slightly higher than the UK price (before UK tax is added), so I don't know if they are any cheaper than you'd normally get them in Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Just checked the site and Pit Bull do now sell Ernie Ball bass strings, though at a price just slightly higher than the UK price (before UK tax is added), so I don't know if they are any cheaper than you'd normally get them in Australia.
    I usually get my strings from the States. If you shop around, even with shipping it works out cheaper.

6. Liked by: Fuzzyworbols

Cool so it’s not just me
    I also usually just buy strings online anyway and I really need to buy a few sets as I haven’t bought bass strings in years lol

The shop I got my jazz bass from earlier in the year has Ernie Ball hybrid slinky for $37 might just drive there
    Last edited by Fuzzyworbols; 24-06-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Yeah, I think the standard bass kit strings brand name might be CRAP.....Chinese Rubbish Aussies Play....
    Seriously, D'addario or Ernie Ball medium round wounds aren't too dear and sometimes you can buy 2 packs or 3 packs which can bring the per unit price down to a more respectable level.
    I have used the Artist cheapies on a few which is fine for home use or rehearsals and reckon they would be ok for gigging as the average punter wouldn't be able to hear the difference. Just not sure how long you would get before they sound dead or dull, something that takes longer with aforementioned well known brands.
    As for Bass players copping the more expense side of things....don't suggest you mention that in front of drummers as they are forever forking out cash for replacement gear.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    # 1 - EX-5 https://goo.gl/fQJMqh
    # 2 - EX-1 https://goo.gl/KSY9W9
    # 3 - Non PBG Tele https://goo.gl/W14G5g
    # 4 - Non PBG J Bass https://goo.gl/FbBaFy
    # 5 - TL-1AR GOTM Aug 2017 https://goo.gl/sUh14s
    # 6 - MMB-4 Runner-up GOTM Oct 2018https://goo.gl/gvrPkp
    # 7 - ES-1 Runner-up GOTM Aug 2018https://goo.gl/T9BEY8

I'd take your digital calipers and check the diameter along the length of those Artist strings. I did on a guitar set I tried and it was all over the place. Which means the tuning will be out, sharp and flat, occasionally correct, depending on which fret you play. The D'Addarios I then tested had the same diameter all along the string. A good string should have a uniform mass per unit length.

Quote Originally Posted by wazkelly View Post
    As for Bass players copping the more expense side of things....don't suggest you mention that in front of drummers as they are forever forking out cash for replacement gear.
    How expensive could a dead animal skin stretched across a hollowed out log and a couple of leg bones cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'd take your digital calipers and check the diameter along the length of those Artist strings. I did on a guitar set I tried and it was all over the place. Which means the tuning will be out, sharp and flat, occasionally correct, depending on which fret you play. The D'Addarios I then tested had the same diameter all along the string. A good string should have a uniform mass per unit length.
    You get what you pay for I guess, but so far good bass strings can cost anywhere from $40 to $200 a set. If you then add in the cost of upgrading hardware and pups and it gets expensive! Even more headaches if you start making replicas and look at it with a modellers eyes rather than a musician's.

About a year or so ago, I switched to the bulk generic strings from JustStrings.com. Honestly, they're pretty good.

Rotosound set of four plus two singles for my 6-string bass are US$34.39/set plus shipping.
    Bulk generic (come 6 strings per package each gauge) come out to US$14.94/set plus shipping.

Since I no longer make any money playing, that's pretty easy math for me.

To Simon's point, I have never checked the consistency of the strings with a caliper, but I've not yet had any tuning issues with them, and they play and sound great.
    What Did You Play Today? ~PJS~

Build #1) KH-1 - November 2019 GOTM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast