Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bass kit strings

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    I'd take your digital calipers and check the diameter along the length of those Artist strings. I did on a guitar set I tried and it was all over the place. Which means the tuning will be out, sharp and flat, occasionally correct, depending on which fret you play. The D'Addarios I then tested had the same diameter all along the string. A good string should have a uniform mass per unit length.
    I can't speak to the AG bass strings but I too bought a 4-pack of 10-46 guitar strings to try out... I still have 3 packs left .
    They wouldn't intonate and were very dull sounding (even dull looking). IIRC, Simon did his string measuring test right about this same time.

FWIW, I bought a set of D'Addario short scale bass strings off ebay for $35 in OCT 2019. They will likely last me the rest of my life...
    I'm not a bass player. I just have one to have one .
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

I bought a set of the Ernie Ball flat wounds from PBG. They are amazing....it is a pity I can't justify the expense of the putting them on a few more of my bases at $85 per set.

They have definitely got better with time being played....needs both...time and being played....but they have a complete round deep sound...but you do lose a little sustain.
    Runner Up G.O.T.M. November 2020. Custom SHB-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2018. MMB-5

Winner G.O.T.M. March 2018. JBA-4

Runner Up G.O.T.M. December 2017. BG-46

I really like the D’Addario ECB82 set, about $68 delivered on eBay.
    Cliff

I'm a bit of sting slut I guess. I have nylon wound Pyramids on The violin bass (The Hoff)(both for the tone and black against the red looks good), DR Black Beauties on the EX-4 (Dora)(cause black on copper looks good) , DR Black Beauties on the outside strings and Red Devils on my Epi (Toby)(like a redback), I'll use Steve Harris signarure Rotosound flats on both the Unicorn (Bomber) and Cliffenbacker (Precipice), and I'll use ghs Boomers on the Axe (Mean Gene). The price varies a fair bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2