Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Muddy neck humbucker??? Try a BASS CUT circuit!

Muddy neck humbucker??? Try a BASS CUT circuit!

I can't believe I didn't catch on to this sooner. For years my relationship with humbuckers has been one of ambivalence. For a raft of reasons, but mainly not digging the neck pickup tone.

Recently I have been replacing the standard tone circuit in a few of my strats with a Passive Treble Bass circuit (PTB ala Leo Fender) when it hit me - "why not do this with humbuckers?" - Duh!!!
    Like most things, I am not the first to think of it, and a quick web search revealed numerous methods of accomplishing this.

I have now fitted two variants into two of my humbucker equipped guitars and it has been nothing less than a revelation. It's actually a bit emabarrassing that I had not discovered this sooner, especially since it's not a new concept. I have used a fixed high-pass filter in a standard tone circuit before, but this approach is so much better.
    I can see these guitars getting played a whole more now and not ultimately being put back in their case with a feeling of "meh".

So your take-away should be this:
    If you're not happy with the tone of your neck humbucker... install a Bass Cut!

I won't post any links, as diagrams and info are readily found online and there are different variations for different applications to choose which suits your scenario best.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

2. Liked by: OliSam

Thanks for that!
    Im going to start my research now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Oli.
    Just thought I'd add a bit to my recent (and on-going) bass cut experience for you.

If you can source C1M pots for the bass cut pot, it's worth doing. So far I have done a 4 control set-up (standard 2V/2T) and a 2 control (standard 1V/1T).
    In the 4 control (Vol/Vol/Treb Cut/Bass Cut) I used a C1M for the bass cut, and the 2 control I used 2 x 500k pots, but with a 1M resistor on the bass cut (as per one schematic). I prefer the sound and feel of the C1M pot.

I have some other mods to do on the 2-knobber, so I'll be switching it to a C1M pot when I do.

5. Liked by: OliSam

Where did you get the C1M pot?
    Cliff

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    Where did you get the C1M pot?
    Hi Cliff. Short answer is Tayda Electronics.

Longer answer: The only ones that Tayda stock are 16mm, which doesn't worry me. I'm not necessarily a "pot size" snob.
    One reason for using their pots was they have splined shafts and since I wanted to use them primarily on strats, I wanted to be able to fit standard strat-style top hat knobs. This was before I made the link to applying the bass cut scheme to humbuckers.

I did find 24mm C1M pots (a bit more money) at Element 14, but the only shaft option available is a solid D shaft. Completely usable, but obviously require grub-screw type or push-on D-shaft knobs, which didn't suit me at the time. However I am considering ordering some anyway just to have in stock, and I do have quite a few dome knobs with grub-screws that I could use. Still have 4 or 5 16mm ones left too.

Cost per unit, including GST & shipping:
    Tayda - 16mm C1M x 10 = $2.35 AU
    Element 14 - 24mm x 10 = $4.08 AU

EIDT to add:
    Just had a look at Tayda, and they do have other C1M pots with 6 & 6.35mm solid shaft as well, but all 16mm diameter casing.

EDIT #2:
    Just had a look at Element 14's site again, and I was mistaken on the shaft type available. They are only available with a 6mm solid shaft (w/ screwdriver slot). Which is probably better than a D-shaft tbh.

FWIW, my original research (and order) was from 2019, so my memory had slipped a little from then til now
    Last edited by McCreed; 28-06-2021 at 12:14 PM.

8. Liked by: Cliff Rogers

One other option, as it’s a tone control, would be to use a linear (B) taper 1 Meg pot, rather than the antilog (C) taper. It will bunch the main tone action up to one end of the pot travel, the same as when using a linear pot instead of a log/audio pot for tone control, but some people prefer that. It would certainly be an easier pot to find in full-sized and splined versions. You’d just have to reverse the order you wire up to the pot tabs compared to a C taper pot.

Simon makes a good point about using a linear pot backwards, and I considered it, but my first experience with using the PTB circuit was in G&L's and I liked the way it worked so tried to stay true to the original design. Just a smoother taper, so more gradual feel.

I could probably get use to a linear pot, but I'm happy with installing the 16mm ones. Just a matter of preference I guess.

Very much so. I prefer audio taper for tone controls, so if it was me, I'd try and source an anti-log pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Very much so. I prefer audio taper for tone controls, so if it was me, I'd try and source an anti-log pot.
    In the builds and mods I've done the past few years, I have reached the conclusion that I too prefer audio pots for tone.

Consequently I now have a boat-load of new & used linear pots in my parts drawer that will end up either in customer's guitars or on Marketplace .

Thanks. 👍
    Cliff

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast