Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: First build

First build

Hi,
    I have just started a Coban 335 type kit. Spalted top. Sanded all over with 400 grit, and mixed up a black powder water based dye.
    Put 2 coats on the front, left overnight, and stated to sand back the top. To my horror, it has all gone green, what have I done wrong?
    Tried adding a photo, but upload failed several times

Hi teegee5448,
    re the uploading photos, the pictures must be smaller than 1000 pixels on the biggest side. Some folks use IMGUR to store bigger pictures and then just link them to the forum.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

STARTED TO LIGHTLY SAND THE TOP WITH 400 GRIT W/D DRY, WENT THROUGH THE SPALT VENEER ALMOST IMMEDIATELY. SO P?????? OFF, SANDED THE WHOLE VENEER OFF, BY HAND, TOOK 14 HOURS IN TOTAL NOW HAVE A PLY TOP WHICH I HAVE TO SAND SMOOTH DOWN TO 400 GRIT, CAN I STILL DYE THIS, OR SHOULD I SPRAY PAINT IT? Contacted Coban, to price a replacement body and neck, offered me a price of £160 with discount. Paid £214 for the original guitar kit, did tell them, no thankyou.
    As Trevor suggested to upload pics, afraid I am not very computer savvy.
    Last edited by teegee5448; 07-02-2023 at 10:53 PM. Reason: wrong wording

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230130_100930.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	43994
    Green mess, meant to be black.

Went through veneer so quickly, and now sanded veneer off.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coban2..jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	43995Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coban3.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	43996

I don't know that particular kit but a couple of comments.
    Not good with the stain doing that, it may have reacted with the glue used for the veneer. Always best to test stain on an inconspicuous area if possible.
    You did well getting the veneer off. Veneers are usually very thin so they are problematic to sand unless you are removing them.
    The body is most likely basswood and this should take a stain. Test the stain in the pickup pockets first.
    400 grit has probably made the timber too smooth to take a stain. I stop at 240 grit when applying stains. Might be worth going back over the body with 240 grit to open the grain of the timber.
    Hope that is of some help.

Hi Colin,
    Thanks for your comment, I will go back over the body with 240 as you suggested, thank you so much for your help.
    Regards,
    Terry

Sanded the body with 240 grit, and attempted a blueburst on the ply top.As you can see, I used three different colour blue dyes.
    I have now realised I am wasting my time and money, so I will sand yet again, and paint with spraycans, it certainly could not turn out worse.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coban4.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	44005

That looks terrible. What brand of dye did you use? The dye is definitely not taking to the timber.
    Solid colour is a good choice. Make sure you put a sealer/primer on before colour.

Yes, the stain is not absorbing into the timber. Maybe it is the glue from the veneer and/or the ply!

It is incredibly frustrating. What type of stain was it? I never have any success with stains when I use sanding sealer first (but others on this forum swear by it). I have had black stain turn brown and blotchy.

Keep persevering and good luck with take 3. Definitely use a sealer/ primer, and also try to get some clear from the same brand as the solid colour to make sure they are compatible.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast