Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Old 80's Tascam 20-Ch Analog Mixing Desk.

Hopefully by next week, I'll have the Tascam M-520 desk set-up in my little studio room, will post some more pics for you guys.

Update:

Today is the day my mate said he was going to be bringing the Tascam M-520 desk round to my place at 5:30pm this afternoon, so I decided to get busy and do some re-organizing of my studio room so I have somewhere to put the desk, will post pics of the desk later on.....stay tuned!!!!

Here we go, as promised, here's a pic of the desk set-up in my little studio room:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tascam Mixer_2_resized.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	195.7 KB 
ID:	40963  
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 06-07-2021 at 02:34 PM.

As luck would have it, I managed to find an online company that sells replacement parts for my Tascam M-520 desk, so this is looking like a very viable restoration project.

https://www.tascamninja.com/collecti...r-parts?page=8

The good news is that all the input channels do have their link in place, so I'm not missing any of them, one thing I am missing is the cable that connects the rackmount power supply module to the desk, until either my friend finds it, or, I manage to buy one online, I can't really do any testing of the desk for the time being.

Some of the panels do look a bit corroded, so I'll have to either get them restored, or source replacements, I also noticed that one of the channels is missing one of the EQ knobs.

Looks like an amazing bit of gear!
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Looks like an amazing bit of gear!

Cheers, I'm pretty stoked that I've got it, I can't wait to start honing my mixing-chops on it, once I've got it all restored and it's in good condition, I'm going to put lots of hours into learning the desk and familiarizing myself with it.

Hopefully I can get it working and playing nicely with my Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 audio interface.

Those PS-520 cables are very rare and hard to find. You may end up having to make one (if you can get the parts).

Here’s a blog of someone who made his own cable to return a M-520 to standard after a previous owner had done a hardwired link from the PSU to the mixer (presumably after losing the cable and not finding a replacement).

http://rainbowjoe.byethost9.com/Repl...dCord.html?i=1

Though some butchering and a hardwired link may be your only option as those Hirose connectors are also very rare now. Canford Audio in the UK sell Hirose, but they only have the current range of round connectors in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Those PS-520 cables are very rare and hard to find. You may end up having to make one (if you can get the parts).

Here’s a blog of someone who made his own cable to return a M-520 to standard after a previous owner had done a hardwired link from the PSU to the mixer (presumably after losing the cable and not finding a replacement).

http://rainbowjoe.byethost9.com/Repl...dCord.html?i=1

Though some butchering and a hardwired link may be your only option as those Hirose connectors are also very rare now. Canford Audio in the UK sell Hirose, but they only have the current range of round connectors in stock.

What if I retro-fitted a different connector plug/socket that had the same number of pins as the originals, but was easier to source?

You can certainly do that. You may need to fit a blanking plate on the PSU and mixer to fit them on but that isn’t hard. A right-angled connector for the mixer would be best so it can sit flatter against a wall.

But much better if your friend can find that cable!

Even if the mixer doesn’t work as a whole, the cable will be worth selling and working mixer channel cards could be sold separately for spares.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast