Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New Boss Katana 100W 1X12 Amp.

That amp is only about 4 cats in size...

if cats were a unit of measurement.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

2. Liked by: OliSam

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post

Yeah...hahahaha....the thing is, my two cats think they are way-cooler than me, they always get all the groupies, while I always get all the lawsuits, and bad record label deals....lol.

I may have to have a few stern words with my two cat roadies/security staff....lol.

I'm going to put the new sticker-labels on the foot controller first and then plug the controller into the amp before I fire this bad boy up.

Incidentally, the amp doesn't seem to have suffered any damage while it was being transported up to Darwin, thank goodness.

This is a brand-new era for me, and I am extremely excited about it, who doesn't love new things?

Just did a quick play-test of my new Boss Katana 100 Mk II amp and ...Wow!!

For a solid-state Digital Modelling amp, this thing sounds really good, clean tones are nice and warm, just like maybe a Fender Twin, the crunch, lead, and Brown tones are some of the best distortion sounds I've ever heard coming from a solid-state amp, usually the distortion tones that you get from most solid-state practice amps tend to sound a bit harsh and "Transistor-like", the distortion tones coming out of the Boss Katana 100 MkII are more like what you'd get coming out of a tube amp like for example a Marshall, I didn't have to do much tweaking of the tone controls to get a good sound, I left the Bass, Mid, and Treble tone controls all on the 12 O clock setting....bam!!!! instant good tones with my Fender USA Strat and it's 3X Fender N4 Noiseless pickups....instant Marshall tones, sounds a lot like my Marshall MA100C 100W all tube amp, but maybe a touch less harsh, mind you, I haven't tried the other 5 amp type settings....yet, anyway, I'm getting some great sounds out of the amp that are perfectly usable in a live gigging situation, by the way, this amp is loud, even on the 50W setting with the master volume set half-way up.

The Australian Recommended Retail Pricing of the amp is just over Au$600.00, which I think is quite affordable, given that my Marshall MA100C amp cost me around Au$1,300.00 or so, don't get me wrong, I still love all my amps, but the Katana 100 MkII for me is a more practical gigging amp, it does weigh a bit less than my Marshall MA100C, a bit less back-breaking.

So, I'm happy with my new Boss Katana 100 MkII amp, can't wait to start gigging with it, I'm definitely going to see if I can get it's software updated, and will see if I can get the optional tone software installed on both my studio desktop pc and new Acer laptop today.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-06-2021 at 03:39 PM.

Got the Boss Tone Studio and the Windows 10 Driver for the Katana installed, had some trouble getting the amp to connect to the tone studio software, turns-out I had to do a system firmware update on the amp to fix it, anyway, it's all up and running with my studio pc now, next step is to get it working with my laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNomis_44 View Post
    Look at what just arrived in the post, literally a few minutes ago!!!!

my two pet cats are doing their regular initial routine customs inspection, fortunately they found nothing suspicious....l
    The hell they are, they are thinking " get the bl00dy thing out of the box so we can play in it "

Quote Originally Posted by dave.king1 View Post
    The hell they are, they are thinking " get the bl00dy thing out of the box so we can play in it "

Hahahaha.....more than likely, I never quite know what my cats are thinking most of the time, they keep treating me like a mushroom......etc, etc, etc.....you know......lol.

Which reminds me of the time I woke up on my bed, not knowing how I got there, turns-out my two cats spiked my drink as revenge for taking them to the vets, I woke up to see both of them sitting on my chest, looking directly at me with broad, malicious grins on their faces, I thought to myself..."Oh no, not again!".
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 25-06-2021 at 07:46 PM.

Enjoy doc! I have the katana head, and love it (and I've only spent a little bit of time fiddling with the settings - I reckon you could spend forever playing with it)
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Quote Originally Posted by JohnH View Post
    Enjoy doc! I have the katana head, and love it (and I've only spent a little bit of time fiddling with the settings - I reckon you could spend forever playing with it)
    Unfortunately, I needed new strings for my two Fender guitars and my Jackson Superstrat, I was planning on buying some new strings yesterday, but found-out that Darwin has been put on lockdown due to some Covid-19 infections, I was able to online-order a box of 25 sets of DÁddario Super Light strings from Stewmac, but they'll take anything up to 4-weeks to arrive in the post, so, no more guitar-playing till then for me.

Things I like most about my brand-new Katana 100 MkII....

* Has great clean,crunch, and distortion sounds.

* Has great reverb and effects built in, I particularly like the Tremolo effect, sounds great with a bit of reverb.

* The controls are all super-intuitive, no endless menus to scroll-through.

* Boss's Tube Logic definitely does get that tube amp sound, even though the Katana 100 MkII is a solid-state digital-modelling amp.

* The optional GA-FC foot controller works perfect with the Katana 100 MkII.

* The Katana 100 MkII seems to weigh less than my Marshall MA100C, so it's easier to tote to gigs.

So, I'm very happy with it, it ticks all the boxes for me, can't wait to start gigging with it.

I can see why Boss have won some awards with the Katana series of amps.

I remember playing through a 75 Watt Line-6 Spider IV amp that they had at the contemporary music department at uni, to my ears, the Line-6 Spider IV amp, in comparison to the Boss Katana 100 MkII, has a very "Digital" sound to it that's very hard to dial-out, the Katana 100 MkII sounds a lot more amp-like to my ears.

If anyone is looking for a decent practice amp, or gigging amp that has some great sounds, then I would very strongly recommend seriously looking at buying one of these Katana 100 MkII amps, they are rated to put-out 100W, but, they do include a panel-mounted power switch that you can use to dial-back the output-power to 50W, or .5W, there's also a standby setting as well that you can use for silent recording into Daw software, definitely worth the money.
    Last edited by DrNomis_44; 30-06-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post

A unit of meowsurement, surely?

10. Liked by: OliSam

I was able to online-order a box of 25 sets of DÁddario Super Light strings from Stewmac, but they'll take anything up to 4-weeks to arrive in the post, so, no more guitar-playing till then for me.
    There are plenty of online retailers in AUS that sell D'Adarrio's in bulk. Not sure why you went overseas. With the current condition of the AUD/USD and shipping, the domestic prices are pretty reasonable (from the right seller).

Also, it would take a whole lot more than dead strings to keep me from playing!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast