Thread: First Build - Telecaster

First Build - Telecaster

Hi all,
    got a Tele kit from Pitbull last November, started working on it in Jan, then slowly got my head into the game to get it done this week (June 2021). I started by sanding the body down, then noticed there was no hole connecting the bridge pickup cavity to the control panel cavity. Got the cordless drill out, didn't think about length or angle, just drilled away, next thing I've put a hole through the back of the body!!!!!
    After the sinking feeling in the guts went away I got a longer drill bit and fixed the hole with a wood dowel and glue. Continued to sand the body to a fine grit (800), then went to work on the neck.
    Took to it with sandpaper and a rasp to get the shape I wanted, which was a 'stinger' type effect. A real deadly-looking design as I wanted to steer away from the traditional tele headstock shape.

Had to think about finishes etc...I wanted a green guitar, that much I knew. I took to You Tube and watched a tonne of vids on how to make guitars etc. decided the cheapest/easiest for a newbie was the spray cans from Dupli Color. Down to Supercheap Auto, bought some grey primer, a couple of cans of Emerald Green, and some clear poly. ended up putting four cans of EG for the colour. One can of poly wasn't enough, so went to Bunnings for some Cabot's cabothane x 2.

So many options for finishes for the neck...I wanted this thing to shine brightly! got some Boiled Linseed Oil for colour, it looked nice as I wanted a tint but didn't want to use stain. After this I poly sprayed the whole thing, including the fretboard, to get a real nice gloss to it. I'm not fussed about playability re this - I've a CV squire with full gloss neck and it plays fine.

thought about the pickguard and decided to scuff it up, primed it, then put a few coats of Emerald Green to match the body, followed by poly on top.

finished the body with maguiers compound and wax, but I didn't get the mirror shine I wanted. Aw well, can't expect perfection. Probably should have used more poly cans, or the wipe on stuff maybe. Don't know how it sounds yet as I've yet to wire it up. give me six more months to learn how to solder then I'll get back to ya.

cheers from Melb
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green goblin 1.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	373.8 KB 
ID:	40806   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green goblin 2.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	192.3 KB 
ID:	40807   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green goblin 3.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	40808   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green goblin 4.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	280.0 KB 
ID:	40809   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	green goblin 5.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	40810  

Well, slow and steady wins the race...

However I'll be very surprised if you don't have issues with the poly on the body delaminating in the future.

Oil based polyurethane over an acrylic lacquer is not a recommended combination due to their incompatibility. Lacquer can continue to expel gas from it's solvents (often referred to as "gassing off") for weeks, months or even years. Polyurethane will cure like a hard plastic over the lacquer trapping the gas which is trying to escape. This will cause the poly to lift, bubble and potentially peel.

A lacquer clear coat is recommended over a lacquer base coat.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

It sounds great. You get a pretty bitchin' tone out of the stock parts. Nice!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Greengoblin View Post
    Hi all,
    got a Tele kit from Pitbull last November, started working on it in Jan, then slowly got my head into the game to get it done this week (June 2021). I started by sanding the body down, then noticed there was no hole connecting the bridge pickup cavity to the control panel cavity. Got the cordless drill out, didn't think about length or angle, just drilled away, next thing I've put a hole through the back of the body!!!!!
    After the sinking feeling in the guts went away I got a longer drill bit and fixed the hole with a wood dowel and glue. Continued to sand the body to a fine grit (800), then went to work on the neck.
    Took to it with sandpaper and a rasp to get the shape I wanted, which was a 'stinger' type effect. A real deadly-looking design as I wanted to steer away from the traditional tele headstock shape.

Had to think about finishes etc...I wanted a green guitar, that much I knew. I took to You Tube and watched a tonne of vids on how to make guitars etc. decided the cheapest/easiest for a newbie was the spray cans from Dupli Color. Down to Supercheap Auto, bought some grey primer, a couple of cans of Emerald Green, and some clear poly. ended up putting four cans of EG for the colour. One can of poly wasn't enough, so went to Bunnings for some Cabot's cabothane x 2.

So many options for finishes for the neck...I wanted this thing to shine brightly! got some Boiled Linseed Oil for colour, it looked nice as I wanted a tint but didn't want to use stain. After this I poly sprayed the whole thing, including the fretboard, to get a real nice gloss to it. I'm not fussed about playability re this - I've a CV squire with full gloss neck and it plays fine.

thought about the pickguard and decided to scuff it up, primed it, then put a few coats of Emerald Green to match the body, followed by poly on top.

finished the body with monopoly compound and wax, but I didn't get the mirror shine I wanted. Aw well, can't expect perfection. Probably should have used more poly cans, or the wipe on stuff maybe. Don't know how it sounds yet as I've yet to wire it up. give me six more months to learn how to solder then I'll get back to ya.

cheers from Melb
    Hey there!

Wow, it sounds like you've been on quite the journey with your Tele kit from Pitbull. It's impressive how you tackled the challenges along the way and found creative solutions. From the mishap with the drill to fixing the hole with a wood dowel and glue, you showed resourcefulness and determination. And your vision for a unique design, like the 'stinger' type effect on the neck and the green finish, demonstrates your artistic flair.

I'm sure the guitar will look stunning with the glossy poly finish and the matching Emerald Green pickguard. Even if you didn't achieve the mirror shine you were aiming for, the important thing is the passion and effort you put into this project. It's clear that you've invested time and energy into learning and researching the best techniques for your build.

Great sound out of that kit, you obviously have played for awhile. Looks great I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of her. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by McCreed View Post
    Well, slow and steady wins the race...

However I'll be very surprised if you don't have issues with the poly on the body delaminating in the future.

Oil based polyurethane over an acrylic lacquer is not a recommended combination due to their incompatibility. Lacquer can continue to expel gas from it's solvents (often referred to as "gassing off") for weeks, months or even years. Polyurethane will Candy Crush like a hard plastic over the lacquer trapping the gas which is trying to escape. This will cause the poly to lift, bubble and potentially peel.

A lacquer clear coat is recommended over a lacquer base coat.
    I'm sure the guitar will look stunning with the glossy poly finish and the matching Emerald Green pickguard.