Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The EX-4 Explorer Bass: An expedition into the world of kit guitars

My electronics arrived today;

1x Switchcraft 1/4" mono jack
    1x Sprague .047mfd Orange Drop capacitor
    3x 500k CTS Audio Taper Mini Pots
    1 foot of black cloth wire
    1 foot of white cloth wire

Not required for a few more months yet, but I'm glad to have them though as despite ordering "mini pots" it is now clear that I'll have to drill larger holes because the pre-drilled holes are 8mm and the CTS pots are 3/8".

8mm seems like a strange size to me as I've only ever had 3/8" pots in every guitar I've ever worked on, but I am quite thankful to discover this before painting/finishing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9AYWsk6_d.png 
Views:	94 
Size:	883.5 KB 
ID:	40776  

8mm is a fairly standard Asian mini-pot size. less metal, less overall cost I expect. When you are making the pots as cheaply as you possibly can, then all small savings make a difference when scaled up to a run of 100k pots or more. 'Mini' only refers to the pot diameter.

You'd probably need new knobs as well. The kit pots and knobs will have 18-spline shaft fittings. Whilst you can get CTS pots with 18-spline shafts if you look around, the standard CTS pot is 24-spline, and 18-spline knobs don't ft on 24-spline shafts.

Making the holes larger is easy. I normally use a reamer rather than a drill.

I actually got some speed knobs the other day but yeah they are metric ones, I’ve since worked out the 18/24 spline thing.
    I’m hoping the shaft length is long enough now because the length is the same but the thread ends shorter than the stock pot, I’ll know for sure once I acquire an 3/8” drill bit or reamer.

I’ll track down a good deal on some imperial knobs soon, thankfully it’ll be a couple months before I can install them anyway.

This is how we learn.
    Last edited by Fuzzyworbols; 08-06-2021 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzyworbols View Post
    I actually got some speed knobs the other day but yeah they are metric ones, I’ve since worked out the 18/24 spline thing.
    I’m hoping the shaft length is long enough now because the length is the same but the thread ends shorter than the stock pot, I’ll know for sure once I acquire an 3/8” drill bit or reamer.

I’ll track down a good deal on some imperial knobs soon, thankfully it’ll be a couple months before I can install them anyway.

This is how we learn.
    I used a step drill to enlarge my pot holes. I got full sized pots with long shafts because the picture looked the same proportions as the kit supplied minis. Didn't realise they were full sized pots hehe.

And you've also got a spare set of knobs for another guitar. Alpha pots are good, as good as CTS IMO, and they normally come with 18=spline shafts (though some suppliers will offer a 24-spline version).

Yeah it doesn’t hurt to have spare parts.

Painting: week one

I started my painting/staining today.

I basically applied the oil paint directly to the wood, then rubbed it in with a cloth. After the surface was covered I added a small amount of the medium to the cloth and wiped it in until I got a fairly even coat.

Now it will hang to dry for a week or two until touch dry and then I'll do the front and sides of the body.

Name:	iZGk6CB_d.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	762.0 KB 
ID:	40784   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nJqxJG9_d.png 
Views:	100 
Size:	968.8 KB 
ID:	40785  

Name:	jVcjC3H_d.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	892.6 KB 
ID:	40786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tS0xlZK_d.png 
Views:	86 
Size:	865.2 KB 
ID:	40787  

Name:	srmSfZP_d.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	921.5 KB 
ID:	40790   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jNSwvL5_d.png 
Views:	84 
Size:	690.8 KB 
ID:	40791  

Looking pretty good so far. Always good to see something different in progress.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast