Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wiring Help Needed

I will try to send some better photos later today.

Would it make a difference to tape around the three wires twisted together that are soldered to the pickup switch? That's the wire that originally came unattached when it stopped working

It's worth checking that no part of that wire or the solder it's held on by is touching any of the other metal strips within the switch. All those other metal strips are carrying the signal, but the two strips nearest the centre ground tag carry the combined output signal, so if a loose strand of wire or a piece of solder has bridged the insulation and is touching either strip, then the signal will be grounded.

By all means tape up that braiding, it can't do any harm, but first check that there isn't any bridging between parts of the switch. Check that at both ends.

It seems when I attach the guitar to an amp to test the pickups, I am getting noise from the pickups when I put the guitar cable in the output jack part of the way, but when it's in fully I don't get anything from the pickups.

Hoping maybe this will help narrow down a possible solution to my issue

Undo the jack plate so the socket is hanging out of the guitar, then you can see if the jack is making proper contact with the socket. And if you get normal sound when its out, then there's still contact between the jack socket and the shielding occurring.

It does sound like the tip of the jack is making initial contact with the tip contact when it first touches, but when you push it all the way in, the tip contact is then being pressed sideways against the shielding.

5. Liked by: dmoose5835

I covered the output jack socket with electrical tape, but I will look closer to see if there is some shielding it is still able to make contact with

I now have the bridge pickup working when testing it, with the pickup switch in that position, but I have no sound when it is switched onto the neck pickup, and middle position with both pickups.

Would this issue be related to the connection of those wires on the switch, and should I disconnect and solder those again?

That indicates that the neck pickup signal wiring has a short to ground on it somewhere between the pickup connection to its volume pot and the selector switch. Don't forget that the pickup signal is also led off to the neck tone pot.

So it seems the neck pickup wire is where the issue is occurring. When I have the hot wire disconnected, I can hear a signal from my amp that it is working but once that wire is connected, then I lose that signal. The wire that runs from the ton pot to the volume seems to be okay.

Can you post a close up picture/pictures of the neck volume pot clearly showing the wires and the solder joints?

If these aren't clear enough, I can send more, just had to resize them to post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210609_122622.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	230.7 KB 
ID:	40781   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210609_122719.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	322.7 KB 
ID:	40780  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast