Thread: Everything old is new again...

Everything old is new again...

As I've posted a few times lately, I have been on a respite from new builds and focusing on some revisionary projects.

My latest two revisions have been re-stratifying the "Strato-Tele" followed by re-telifying my "Tele-Strat"
    The photos will hopefully explain more clearly:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New old ST  B4 AFT.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	436.5 KB 
ID:	40734 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Old New TL B4 AFT.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	360.0 KB 
ID:	40735

I guess I was just inclined to return a bit more to the traditional.
    The strat was a pretty straight forward switch, but I did rewire it with Leo Fender's PTB Circuit. I've really become a convert to this wiring scheme and have redone several of my strats with it. I find it much more useful than a standard tone circuit, but it's probably not everyone's cup of tea .

The tele required some customising of the pickguard and a bit of extra routing under it due to having the hardtail bridge instead of a traditional tele bridge. I really like the Fender Gen 4 Noiseless pickup set in this one.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

All looking good and now seemingly "proper". Hope it was what you set out to achieve and that mainly they sound and feel killer to play top job

Nice.

So when do you start stripping down and refurbing the old, faded McCreed body, filling in the dents and scratches and maybe fitting some new pickup lines?

The guitars look cool. I really like the PTM on my G&L bass, but I didn't realize that it was used on guitars as well. Looks like the pot values are even the same.

Thanks guys.

All looking good and now seemingly "proper". Hope it was what you set out to achieve and that mainly they sound and feel killer to play top job.
    Yes, very happy with the results sonically and cosmetically. It's funny how some pickup swaps don't always work. I've had that happen before, so try not to have too many expectations until it's been plugged in and played. This time the Tone Gods were on my side!

So when do you start stripping down and refurbing the old, faded McCreed body, filling in the dents and scratches...
    Are you talking about me or the guitars???
    I'm afraid there isn't enough filler and paint on the planet to fix me! TBH, I've intentionally avoided doing any refinishing due to the investment of time it takes. Plus I'm happy to let "relicing" take it's natural course

...I really like the PTM on my G&L bass, but I didn't realize that it was used on guitars as well. Looks like the pot values are even the same.
    Yes, I believe all the pot and cap values are the same.

They look good! The main thing is they play how you want
    #001 (LP-1S) [finished - co-runner up Nov 2018 GOTM]
    #002 (WL-1)
    #003 (MPL Megacaster - semi scratch build) [finished]
    #004 (ST-1 JR - Arachnoid Superhero build) [finished]
    #005 (LP jr)
    #006 (TL-1A)

Junk shop acoustic refurbs (various)
    'The TGS Special'

Okay... last one...

So, one last revision to this one .

I got a import-sized tele bridge for cheap and further tele-fied this one.
    I had a set of solid stainless steel block saddles already, and replaced the stock cast metal ones that came on the bridge.

I think I'm done now...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MRC Tele v3 1k x 750.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	40779

Not sure I mentioned this already, but part of revising this tele, included re-radiusing the fretboard from 14" to 9.5" and a re-fret. Much happier with the 9.5" R.

Great stuff there! Going to keep the stratty looking pick guard I take it? Would be hard to fill those screw holes.

Edit: looks like you've re-made it in that shape anyway for the new tele pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakersdozen View Post
    Great stuff there! Going to keep the stratty looking pick guard I take it? Would be hard to fill those screw holes.

Edit: looks like you've re-made it in that shape anyway for the new tele pups.
    Yeah, with the screw holes and the original three pickup routing, a standard tele pickguard wouldn't work. So I retrofitted the strat one to accommodate the tele bridge. Plus it just makes more "custom" . The neck pickup is located exactly where it would be in a tele p/g anyway.