Thread: Painting a Banjo head

Painting a Banjo head

So, yeah, I heard guitarist folks hate Banjos. But then, I found this dude on YouTube playing Bach on the Banjo and before I knew it, I had bought one for 50 bucks on the local classifieds

As I like restoring and fiddeling with things, I'm toying with the idea to paint the banjo head. I'm not sure what the best way would be because I don't want to mess up the sound completely, but on the other hand, a thin layer of paint sealed with spray lacquer should probably be fine, no?

I also thought about using waterslide decals (the stuff some people use for headstocks), that would maybe be prone to cracking but still look somewhat cool.

Any other ideas? I'm not expecting to be playing that thing a lot (my husband would probably divorce) so the sound isn't not going to be *that* much of a problem, I just want to keep it in a playable state, so it COULD be still played fine.

I saw a lot of drum heads with nice paintings, but I have no idea if there is a difference in the amount of paint it can take until it affects the sound.

Sorry if this kind of offtopic is not allowed, I just thought I'd give it a try =)
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

You can't mess up the sound of a banjo any more than it is already, so paint away!

I once airbrushed a design onto a kick drum resonant head using standard modelling enamel paints, which worked well, but that was the least important of the two heads.

Whatever you use, the thinner the better, as anything too thick could seriously damp the head resonance and make the sound even more 'plinky' than it already is.

Hey Simon, thanks a lot!

Would you prefer painting or applying a waterslide decal? I'm kinda torn here =)

And btw., Banjos do sound really amazing - the only thing that's kind revolting to my ears are the bluegrass/country rolls and harmonies, mainly the alternating between the high and low notes in fast succession. The sound itself is really interesting, almost like a cembalo.

I think this is really nice:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPVvJFQL9hc

I think a decal would probably split over time with the vibrations. But thick paint will probably crack as well.

Reading on the web, acrylic paint seems to work well, though best results (which won't get rubbed off over time) are done by painting on the reverse of a clear head.

If the banjo has a resonator on the rear, then painting on the inside of the resonator and then fitting a clear head so it can be seen, is the best overall compromise.

Nice idea of painting the inside of the resonator. Haven't thought about this. Maybe add a few LED's inside while I'm already on it

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    If that was played in the same manner on a cigar box guitar with a slide it would be called delta blues

I do like that clip

Here's a bit of banjo bluegrass played on a guitar

Last edited by dave.king1; 03-06-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Nice idea of painting the inside of the resonator. Haven't thought about this. Maybe add a few LED's inside while I'm already on it
    I'd go for a small smoke machine and lasers.

It is nice.

Anyone who doesn't like banjo should listen to more Bella Fleck ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoLXtj0aCiM