Thread: Bridge and tailpiece hole spacing

Bridge and tailpiece hole spacing

I was very excited to receive my GS-7Z kit. I’ve been looking for a new 7 string for years, but haven’t been able to find something that fits my particular likes at a price within my budget. Building from a kit seemed to be the answer.

So I unpacked the kit and started dry fitting parts together, and right away I noticed that the pre-drilled holes for the bridge and tailpiece are too close together for the hardware provided. After aligning everything with strings on, it appears both lower holes were mis-drilled, about half a hole off. I can repair it by plugging the hole with a dowel and re-drilling them, but I’m annoyed that I have to. I mean, I don’t work in a guitar factory, but if all I had to do is drill two holes a fixed distance apart, I’m sure I could have done better than this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A04A15D8-389F-4EF1-8ABA-960E627F1EFA.jpeg 
Views:	91 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	40696

Name:	2AF6187C-CEEE-442F-9812-77D9ECB73F95.jpeg 
Views:	90 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	40697

Name:	796E614B-0A4E-4FB3-99FE-F90DA15566CE.jpeg 
Views:	81 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	40698

Name:	4767C3B0-26AC-4D0E-9798-F415CFC69A41.jpeg 
Views:	85 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	40699
    Last edited by MetalAxeMan; 29-05-2021 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Photos added

I agree that is unacceptable, and I'm confident they guys at PBG would also. Email Adam with the pics. They are all about customer service and satisfaction. I am equally confident they would replace the body. Don't know where you're located, but if AUS, things get sorted pretty quickly.

Look forward to your next post and seeing your build.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Unfortunately that seems to happen on quite a few of the kits with stoptails. My GSM-1 had the same issue (well, just the bridge), but I was at final assembly stage when I found out.

Complain like hell.

PBG’s response

It took me a few days to get around to it, but I emailed Pit Bull about it. They responded the same day with apologies. They shipped me a new body and neck (I assume because they’re a matched set) all the way across the world’s largest ocean to the USA, at their expense. They also promised to test fit a bridge in it before shipping to make sure this one is good, so hopefully there will be no more issues. Yes, excellent service from these guys. I look forward to getting this instrument put together.

5. Liked by: Brendan, Fuzzyworbols

DHL delivered my replacement body and neck to the wrong house. I swear, basic competence is a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalAxeMan View Post
    DHL delivered my replacement body and neck to the wrong house. I swear, basic competence is a thing of the past.
    oh lord!
    It's good to hear PBG responded quickly to fix the problem. It's stories like this that encouraged me to buy a kit from them.

best of luck with your build mate.