Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: St. Vincent itch

Interesting. Looks like we can get something similar at the big green shed: https://www.timbermate.com.au/our-pr...wood-hardener/

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dozymuppet View Post
    Interesting. Looks like we can get something similar at the big green shed: https://www.timbermate.com.au/our-pr...wood-hardener/

I don't think I can get that here, but I'll keep looking if I do another paulownia body. I like the way it's applied with a spray bottle. Much less viscous than the PC Petrifier. I'd guess that would be better for new wood.

Resurrecting this one.

The paulownia was too flimsy by itself (fine with a drop top, I guess) and the cut was a bit too small.

I also tried using some American White Oak, but heavy AF, hard to work, and I had a router tear out.

Found a cheap piece of Red Oak. At least 20% lighter than the AWO, and easier to work (bit more like Ash).

From the Wood Database:

Grain is straight, with a coarse, uneven texture. The pores are so large and open that it is said that a person can blow into one end of the wood, and air will come out the other end: provided that the grain runs straight enough.

Well that's odd. Not sure what I'll do with that knowledge

Maybe you should leave a 20mm square patch unfinished on either end of the guitar, then if you are ever trapped in a flooding room with the guitar, you can use it as a breathing tube to gain extra time.

This is a cool body shape and new wood has piqued my interest again.

Putting together a parts shopping list, and thinking of using the two gold Warman Firebuckers on this. Inspired by BD's StrassV, I'm thinking of plonking a single coil sized pickup in between them.

The Firebuckers have 6.6 output each. From the Warman options, I'm looking at:
    - Destroyer single coil (https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/prod...r-hsh-guitars/), which is made for HSH, and has 5.8 output.
    - Peacemaker twin rail (https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/prod...tput-and-tone/), "warm", with 7.3 output
    - Twin Loco hot rail (https://www.warmanguitars.co.uk/prod...kup-14-1kohms/), with a whopping 14.1 output

There are good cases for all of these. With a twin rail, I was intending to using a separate volume pot, with push pull for single coil. I kinda feel like that may be useless on the Peacemaker, but would be great on the Twin Loco.

Any advice or opinions welcome.

I'd look at the Henries rather than the DCR for an idea of respective output levels. The Destroyer (3.2H) is the pickup most closely matched to the FireBucker II output (3.1H). The Peacemaker is significantly hotter (4.73H) and the Twin Loco (9.86H).

The FireBucker II pickups should be relatively 'Stratty' in sound, so with a relatively well output matched single coil in the mid position you should be able to get some good Strat-style mixed position sounds.

My only concern is that the FireBucker II pairs are the same pickup for neck and bridge. You can of course have the bridge one set significantly higher than the neck to try and balance the outputs, but sometimes that's not really possible. A polepiece-less FireBucker (3.5H) would probably be a better fit in the bridge. It's a shame they don't sell them singly (though you could make up two mini-humbucker sets). But maybe think of a full-sized humbucker in the bridge? Just putting some ideas forwards.

10. Liked by: Bakersdozen, dozymuppet

Are you planning all direct mounts for the pups, or a half guard like some of the st V's ? Only thought here, without knowing those pups, is to experiment with different configurations. Loaded guard kind of thing...drop in and out until you find what you like

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast