Thread: Oh no its the Fuzz!

Pfaffing around on the internet the other day and came across diyguitarpedals.com.au - bloke from Vic who's set up a small online shop selling cheap DIY pedal kits... So... decided to have a small play and for less than $20 delivered got a PCB for a simple fuzz pedal, most of the components (just needs need 2 x jacks (got already), a 3PDT footswitch, case (got already) and a LED(got already)). Photo below. Bloke behind it seems pretty cool - have emailed him twice with dumb questions and he's got back to me twice - another company like PBG that does a good job with customer service!
    Will keep you updated. Just needed something that I could play with quietly while Wudtone and NCR oil is curing! Also picked up an experiementer's kit, 9V jack, Alpha pot and a couple of extra caps to try and see if I could make it a bass fuzz.

I have visions of a blue / white themed pedal - maybe hi vis?

Mentor
    Cool, Brendan. You should be able to knock it up in no time. Can you post some audio when you're done?

I'll try - musicianship skills are quite limited... Maybe that's why I've turned to lutherie . Other thing is that the Experimenter's kit came with 3 different types of caps (and I've added a 4th), 4 different transistors, a couple of different resistors and 3 different diodes, including a germanium one to play with and try out on the PCB. For me what's better is there's a page on what each thing does and how changing it out will change the sound.

Early wiring done. Using sockets - not sure how to keep the resistors, etc in the holes, but apparently it's the done thing for experimenting...

Circuit board with sockets installed. Apparently lets you change resistors / caps, etc to try out different ones and see which one you like.

Side on.

PS. Yes it is that small. Found the helping hands and magnifying glass invaluable.

Nice one Brendan. Thanks for the info in this site. Looks very interesting! Gonna have to try a couple...

Cheers,
    Gav.
    --
    Build #01: BC-1
    Build #02: ST-1
    Build #03: JR-1DC
    Build #04: ES-2V
    Build #05: ESB-4 (GOTM July 2014)
    Build #06: RC-1
    Build #07: MK-2
    Build #08: TLA-1
    Build #09: JR-1DC
    Build #0A: LPA-1
    Build #0B: STA-1 (GOTM April 2015)
    Build #0C: MKA-2
    Build #0D: LP-1M
    Build #0E: JB-1
    Build #0F: FS-1

Find me:
    https://www.facebook.com/firescreek.guitars/
    http://www.guitarkitbuilder.blogspot.com.au/

Mentor
    Hey Brendan. Have you fired up this cracker yet?

Had a play with it - in the end gave up with the sockets - great idea, but lacking in my execution. So Wed night ended up pulling out all the sockets and taking a stab with some caps and transistors, etc. Currently only thing I haven't soldered in is a resistor, so will play around with that one. Will have a better look at it tomorrow - want to make sure I haven't left a solder bridge or ground it out somewhere before I give it a good go.

@ Brendan Awesome to see you getting into D.I.Y. pedals mate, I've got two pedals I built myself, a Tonebender Mk I and a Tonebender Mk II, I've also got a red Jim Dunlop JD-F2 Fuzz Face pedal that I have converted from Germanium to Silicon transistors in order to get it working and more temperature-stable, it uses two BC108C transistors, I've got it sounding pretty good now, sounds great through my new Boss Katana 100 Mk II amp.