Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ukelele

Talking Ukelele

I am looking for a ukelele kit for the old man as a birhtday present and am not sure where to look. I have done a bit searching around on the inter-web and can’t find what I am after! Had anyone here done this or have any leads or recommendations? Or is this question like a blasphemous swear word on here? Hope not! Cheers.

If Banjos are tolerated, I think you’ll be fine with a Ukulele thread.

About 3 years ago I bought a fairly cheap Chinese tenor Uke kit from Amazon. It was terrible. The top was stapled on at the neck join area and there was a big chunk missing from the neck itself, and glue marks all over the body by the binding, so it went back. All the ‘cheap’ kits look pretty similar and often cost more than the fully assembled and finished versions. Those normally sound quite rough and have high actions. The reason I bought a kit was so I could work on the bridge and neck joint to get a lower action than the cheaper bought ones. At least it had quite an attractive solid wood finish on it, the only good part. This was it:

ammoon 26in Tenor Ukelele Ukulele Hawaii Guitar DIY Kit Wood Body Rosewood Fingerboard with Pegs String Bridge Nut https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075212D...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Mine is the first 1-star review.

No instructions or glue were included, though with so few components, you don’t need to be a genius to see where the pieces fit.

It could have been a good kit, even with a staple, but ended up a big disappointment.

If you do buy a kit, buy well in advance so you can check and return it if necessary. You could even buy 4 and pick the best one and return the others (or all 4 if the QA was as bad as with mine). You may even need to add your own basic instructions for him (neck and bridge clamping, bridge alignment etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMark View Post
    If Banjos are tolerated...
    Absolutely fine with me, as long as they are half a world away!

Okay...

What's the difference between a banjo and an onion...

No one cries when you chop up a banjo!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Yep, I saw this uke kit the other day and wondered why one wouldn't just spend that amount on a brand uke. https://luthiersupplies.com.au/ukulele-builders-kit

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Indeed. Of course it could make a very nice uke, but you still need a decent amount of guitar building skills to do so. And a decent brand-new uke with a name on it will be worth something if you ever want to sell it. It's more about the building than the end result (like a lot of our kit builds here).

Thanks guys. Not sure which way I will go with it. Just trying to come up with ideas.

Definition of a gentleman - one who can play the banjo, but doesn't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast