Thread: Eye of the beholder

Eye of the beholder

This popped up in my feed, and suddenly rocketed to my top 5 planned projects.

Maybe not pink, but who knows...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

That's probably a re-logo'd Squier katana Bass As far as I can make out from the web, Fender (Japan) only made the (through neck) guitar version and then when the (bolt-on) Squier version came out, they added a bass.

They seem to have been disliked by most for having very thin necks (so maybe a good bass for a guitarist), though that wouldn't be a problem with your own version of one. It was also rare for being a medium scale bass, with a 32" scale length, but apparently that didn't stop it from being very neck-heavy. So using with a 34" neck, you'd probably need quite a thick, dense body wood to keep it balanced.

And I think you'd probably need to extend a standard PB/JB headstock to get that full point. The kit headstock ends about the same distance as the tuners area apart past the G tuner hole, whilst the Katana is extends twice that length at its longest point.

Otherwise the size of the tuner body determines how narrow you could make the headstock to try and compensate for lack of length and still keep it very pointy. You probably couldn't with the standard big-plate Fender style tuners, but smaller bodied Y-style tuners, or Hipshot Lites, might allow you to do that. But if you wanted the full length, it's either extend the headstock time and probably go with a painted face and rear to disguise it, or make your own neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    And I think you'd probably need to extend a standard PB/JB headstock to get that full point.
    Just stick a strap button in the back of the neck around the 12th fret

Well I'll be looking at some other short scale options, but where there's a will...

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

6. Liked by: OliSam