Thread: Then theres the 12.

Then theres the 12.

I'd actually ordered the plain as cheapy 'cause I was going to carve in some inlay with Paua but Mr Boss Man upgrade me... bugger!
    First off though is redoing the headstock so I can have nice slow curves down the sides. That's an old trick for me though and is simply a matter of doing some dowel, on the lathe, usually in a contrasting wood 'cause I don't mind making changes, to plug the MH holes as is then recutting the edges. On this one too I'm going to veneer the headstock but also make it look as if I've done multiple layers but I'll just route the edges down 3 or 4 veneer layers thick and in about ten mil.
    Other than that other pickups except I'm unsure which but making a clear perspex scratchplate is definitively going to happen as the supplied doesn't line up so well and I'm a fan of scribing designs with the dremel into the back of clear which go kind of white plus insetting a broach between the pickups which'll then be under the scratch plate.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pitbull12.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	40329

The wood is amazing. Will you be staining?

Wow! That veneer is stunning. Great project.

Checked for glue spots yet?

From the title I assume it's a 12 string. Really works best with some clean sounding pickups to make the most of the chime available IMO. If you don't want to fill in the neck pickup rout for a standard single-coil then maybe a humbucker-sized P90, a bright sounding PAF-style like an SD Jazz, or a Gretsch Filtertron (which may need an adapter ring to fit).

Hey guys, like I said I was hoping for plain but then got this rather lovely bit of spalted so I'll have to go with it.
    Hey Simon, you're right and I'm wondering about a set of, gosh I can't even remember what they're called, but they are GFS pickups which tend to be in the filtertron territory but too I have a few sets of lipsticks as well so indeed reasonably low output to get all the highs would be what I'm aiming for.
    Ah these are them...https://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Sur...ups_c_259.html

I have been debating the Surf 90s as well for a 12 string build. The other option I am considering are the GFS Memphis. They are aiming for the low Rick output of 4-5.5. figured I would throw that into consideration for you as well. Good luck with the build!
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Mem...y_p_21928.html
    (GFS also just got everything back in stock yesterday)