Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
The full pro-level solution would be to remove the frets, level the fretboard and re-fret. But that's quite a task!
Yes, I'm not quite ready for biting off that much!

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
Use a straight edge and see how big a gap you've got between it and the first couple of frets,as that's how much the other frets will will need to come down; or at least the 3rd fret, with the others reducing in height reduction as you go up the neck. You want the tops of the frets level, but you can allow the fret height to vary (though this is not the ideal it is practical). In effect you want to draw a straight line between the first and last fret, and take the tops off the other frets until they reach that line, with the most coming off that 3rd fret. Easier said than done though without running up quite a complicated jig.
I've just not had the time or headspace to tackle this over the last few days. The straight edge sounds like a good idea - I think the 1st and 2nd frets are only slightly lower than the rest, in which case I think the easiest path will just be to sand the frets as usual, and end up with all but two of them being a little short. However, I'll reassess that when I check with the edge.

By "side to side" do you mean across the width of the fretboard?
I do. There you go, I didn't realise that "up and down" is the way to do it. I'd have thought that would be more likely to end up in flat spots, which is probably why I'm going side to side. Also, I'm using sandpaper attached to the straight edge on a spirit level - are you, or are you using a radiuses block? What issues would you see with the side-to-side method?

The all black is looking very nice. Great work.
Thanks Trevor!