Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Build No 8 SSCM-1E Les Paul Custom

Nice. I have that same "inlay" on my Les Paul Tele. They actually look pretty good once they're buried in clear coat.
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Clear coat finished some orange peel and one or two runs to fix. Will wait the obligatory 30 days before wet sanding and polishing.
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Quote Originally Posted by stansby40 View Post
    Clear coat finished some orange peel and one or two runs to fix. Will wait the obligatory 30 days before wet sanding and polishing.
    Photos? ;-)

Clear coat finished some orange peel and one or two runs to fix.
    Yeah, OP be a bitch...
    I've been spraying with a gun for couple of years now (not long compared to many others) and I still have yet to lay down a perfect finish. At best I've managed to minimise the amount of orange peel compared to what I was getting with rattle cans.
    Some say it's inevitable, others say completely avoidable, I don't know who to believe.

However, I take solace when I see a brand new car in a car park that rolled off the assembly line with orange peel.
    If you intentionally start looking around, you'll see what I mean and feel better about your own work!

Clear coat and backing plates

For johnwhitear here are some photos after clear coating (5 x3 wet coats 20 min between the coats aka Phrozin). Not much to see as orange peel present and the curved les paul body makes the front hard to photo, although a shine is apparent. Oh I ordered a epiphone black rear cover plate without checking and it does not fit!! It may be gibson but I think not so I sprayed the off white kit ones with 4 wet coats of undercoat and 3 x 3 wet coats of satin black. Was going well until some dust blew in ( I was spraying on the floor). I can sand it back later and spray again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp21.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	161.3 KB 
ID:	40634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp22.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	140.1 KB 
ID:	40635   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp23.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	59.2 KB 
ID:	40636   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp24.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	40637  
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Assembled and Finished

The guitar is basically finished. Who ever said that a black gloss finish was very difficult to do was right. The slightest imperfection is visible, and they are many slight imperfections. However there is also a very reflective glossy finish to be seen as well. I was going to go with Tonerider pickups but I had quite a few guitars with Toneriders so I went for the Gibson 57 classic PAF's in both neck and bridge. Keeping with the 50's style (solid mahogany body) I used the 57 classic in both positions and wired up the tone controls in the 50's style. Easiest setup I have ever done no need for fret dressing and the gotoh bridge did not need any intonation adjustment when installed. The truss rod needed a slight adjustment and the bone nut needed some slight filing down. Nice to play and I think it sounds good but I am not a Les Paul expert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp25.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	269.9 KB 
ID:	41019   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lp26.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	157.9 KB 
ID:	41020  
    Build 1 AGM-1
    Build 2 TLA-1
    Build 3 ES-3
    Build 4 TL-12F
    Build 5 ST-1

Nice job Stan!
    You always seem to do well on your finishes. I've not done a black gloss before as they just don't do it for me.
    In fact, the two black strats I've owned in my lifetime, I refinished other colours!

Yep, looks great. The gold hardware goes really well.
    PitBull Builds: FVB-4, LP-1SS, FBM-1, AG-2, TB-4, SSCM-1, TLA-1, TL-1TB, STA-1HT, DSCM-1 Truckster, ST-1, STA-1, MBM-1.

Scratch Builds: Pine Explorer, Axe Bass, Mr Scary, Scratchy Tele's.

The little voices in my head keep telling me "build more guitars"

Quote Originally Posted by stansby40 View Post
    The guitar is basically finished. Who ever said that a black gloss finish was very difficult to do was right. The slightest imperfection is visible, and they are many slight imperfections. However there is also a very reflective glossy finish to be seen as well. I was going to go with Tonerider pickups but I had quite a few guitars with Toneriders so I went for the Gibson 57 classic PAF's in both neck and bridge. Keeping with the 50's style (solid mahogany body) I used the 57 classic in both positions and wired up the tone controls in the 50's style. Easiest setup I have ever done no need for fret dressing and the gotoh bridge did not need any intonation adjustment when installed. The truss rod needed a slight adjustment and the bone nut needed some slight filing down. Nice to play and I think it sounds good but I am not a Les Paul expert.
    Looks tops, im doing my telecaster black and i hope it comes out half as good.
    Fender electric Fat Strat mim. (Bought)
    Maton Electric Acoustic EM325C
    Pitbull Guitars ST-1 ( finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=5970
    Pitbull Guitars SG-2 ( Finished) http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=6124

Pitbull Guitars JM-1 (Finished. 2018 June GOTM))http://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au...ead.php?t=7150
    Pitbull Guitars TL-1 (In production) [url]https://www.buildyourownguitar.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=8676

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast