Thread: Blower Switch

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Blower Switch

Hi guys, I want to add a blower switch to the wire diagram I've posted here. Going off what I've seen online I can only connect one pick up to the blower switch. I've been trying to come up with ideas but I can't see a way I could add the 2 pick ups to 1 switch?

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Rod.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humbucker p 90.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	280.3 KB 
ID:	40257  

Pretty easy. The pickups go to the selector switch first, so you've got a common output. So if you make the volume pot a switched pot like the tone pot, then you just take the selector switch output to the common of one side of the switch, take the 'down' position switch output pole back to the normal volume pot connection, and the 'up' switch position output pole direct to the jack socket tip connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humbucker p 90_LI (2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	618.1 KB 
ID:	40262

But you also need to break the connection on the output side of the volume control, otherwise you've got a path back for the output signal through the volume pot to the tone control. Remember that when the volume pot is at 10, the pot's input and output tabs are directly connected, so the tone control would still be in circuit.

So, when the switch is pulled up, the pickup output bypasses the volume control and the tone control connection,. When down, it's business as usual. So the blower switch operates for all pickup selections.

3. Liked by: HarmonIser

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Pretty easy. The pickups go to the selector switch first, so you've got a common output. So if you make the volume pot a switched pot like the tone pot, then you just take the selector switch output to the common of one side of the switch, take the 'down' position switch output pole back to the normal volume pot connection, and the 'up' switch position output pole direct to the jack socket tip connection.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	humbucker p 90_LI (2).jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	618.1 KB 
ID:	40262

But you also need to break the connection on the output side of the volume control, otherwise you've got a path back for the output signal through the volume pot to the tone control. Remember that when the volume pot is at 10, the pot's input and output tabs are directly connected, so the tone control would still be in circuit.

So, when the switch is pulled up, the pickup output bypasses the volume control and the tone control connection,. When down, it's business as usual. So the blower switch operates for all pickup selections.
    Thank you very much for the diagram Simon. I've got a SPST switch. Looks like I need a DPDT..

All good thanks Simon. I got it going. Only thing is the ebay on on switch is a dud. A lot of static etc. I'll get another one tomorrow..

Note it's a double pole single throw switch you need (two position) not a double throw switch (three position).

Thanks again Simon. It's a on on two position switch with 6 connections like in your your diagram. When I paid $1.99 for it I didn't give much of a chance..

They don't normally cost much, but there's a lot of mark-up when sold singly. I bought a pack of 5 on/off/on spring return to centre switches for a similar price each and they're fine.

Might be worth checking the contact switching and connections with a multimeter, just in case the two sides of the switch have opposing connections e.g centre to up one side, centre to down the other.

Thanks Simon, will do. I bought one for $7.95 today at a electronic shop here called Jaycar. It works well. I swapped out the bridge humbucker for another P90. This is where the blower switch shines. Takes the edge / harshness off for rhythm with distortion. I did have the blower switch connected to the bridge but wired it back to the neck P 90. I prefer that for solos. Thanks again..👍