Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Blend pot...

Blend pot...

Okey dokey... so this isn't a PBG, but Andy has supplied me a set of Toneriders for my Strat and rather than just do a standard fit out, I've read about installing a blend pot in the 2nd Tone spot to get the bridge + neck pickup combo happening and thought "That sounds like a good idea!"

Has anyone done this? And what exactly is the blend pot? I know nothing about them....

Cheers, chaps and chapesses..

John
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

I’ve done it on a strat. You can get the Tele middle position sound pretty easily. I ended up taking it out because I kept getting side tracked fiddling with it and not actually playing 😂

3. Liked by: corsair

A blend pot is also called a balance pot sometimes. Two potentiometers stacked with a shared centre post. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk

5. Liked by: corsair

Quote Originally Posted by brisboy View Post
    . Two potentiometers stacked with a shared centre post.
    That's what I thought, too, but I've seen a Fralin pot that is a single gang so I'm all at sea at the moment! And do I need to use "no load" pot for the blend and master tone?!

Anyone?!
    "If it's Blues music in a bar and it helps people swallow their drink of choice, or it's a dance song and people get up off their chairs and shuffle their feet, or it's a Jazz tune and the Chardonnay tastes so much better... then it's all good."

- Marcel

A Balance/Blend circuit uses a stacked centre-detent pot, essentially two opposite pots in one unit. Both halves (A and B) are on full in the middle, turn it one way and A stays full while B reduces, turn the other way and B is full while A reduces. This allows you to balance the sound/volume from two pickups.

What Corsair is asking about is a blender circuit, where a standard volume pot connects a pickup into the circuit allowing you to 'blend in' as much or as little as you like from that pickup. Doing it on a Strat allows bridge plus neck Tele combos, or blends it with the middle, or all thee pups. Here's a layout that uses a push/pull to swap the neck tone to a neck blender:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WDU-SSS5L21-01__53673.1481680159.1280.1280.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	101.0 KB 
ID:	29735

When the push/pull is down it acts as a normal tone for the neck, but pull it up and it swaps to being a blender for the neck. Then you can have bridge + neck, bridge + middle + neck, middle with a touch of neck etc.

There are different layouts you can use, depending on what you want. One option is a master volume, master tone and a permanent blender pot, or something similar, which sounds like what Corsair is wanting. A 'No Load' pot allows a permanent blender to be taken out of the circuit without needing a switch, turning it all the way essentially disconnects it.
    Last edited by WeirdBits; 15-01-2019 at 07:36 PM.
    Scott.

8. Liked by: corsair

Thanks, Scott; yeah, that last is what I was thinking. So, a no load, A taper pot for a blend control and a standard B taper for the master tone with its attendant cap, which is something else I'm gonna have a play with, although my reading would indicate that a no load pot there could be benficial as well, by removing it from the circuit and allowing just the capacitor to work on sound shaping!! Thought I might put in a treble bleed as well...

- Marcel

Except I'd scrape the track at the other end, so 10 on the dial would be no load and maximum brightness, then at 9 the pot would kick in with maximum resistance (so normal max brightness) and 0 is then your normal max dullness.

Of course, proper no-load pots have the full pot resistance at the 9 position, whereas when making your own like in the video, you are loosing some of that resistance. So the 9 position on a home-made pot will sound a bit duller than 9 on a bought no-load pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Except I'd scrape the track at the other end, so 10 on the dial would be no load and maximum brightness, then at 9 the pot would kick in with maximum resistance (so normal max brightness) and 0 is then your normal max dullness.

Of course, proper no-load pots have the full pot resistance at the 9 position, whereas when making your own like in the video, you are loosing some of that resistance. So the 9 position on a home-made pot will sound a bit duller than 9 on a bought no-load pot.
    Thanks Simon, that's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    So I was thinking maybe you should scrape a pot with a little higher value, like a 300K instead of a 250K. So I looked on eBay and realized that no load pots are no more expensive than any other decent pot....

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast