Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: In the market for a non electric guitar with a slim neck

Almost all shops here are closed since November/December and I think trying and touching guitars is currently not highly appreciated. But I think you are totally right and I should just wait a little longer until shops re-open. At least I hope they do before or next lockdown next autumn -.-
    We've been so fortunate here in Australia, it's easy to forget how bad things still are in the rest of the world despite some vaccinations getting out there now.

This is why I get PO'ed when some Australians whinge & moan when we've had to have a couple of 3-day lockdowns over the past few months. I mean... really???

Sorry for the non-guitar input. Good luck on your search!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

Ha, yeah, you guys live on an island, which proves to be a great advantage in this aspect ;-)

Also, to be fair, I'm also just whining in a high castle - I can work from home, we have two cars so don't need public transportation, I can freely walk the dogs whenever and wherever I want and the 9pm curfew is just mildly annoying as it's getting dark then anyway.
    It's also amazing how long you can go without ever going to the shops besides groceries. Amazon is your friend ;-)

Buuuut the German's have greatly fucked up the vaccination plan, still only 20% of the German people had their first dose, and only around 6% are fully vaccinated. People are grouped by age, priorizing the elderly (which is right!) but my age group is still far, far, faaaaaaar away from getting the shot. I hope they step up their game pretty soon because everybody has been looking forward to spring and summer, and we just don't want to sit in the house for any longer. Of course we can leave the house during day times whenever we want, but the truth is that everything is closed (shops, restaurants, cafés, etc.) so there is not many places you can go, unless you like to sit around in the grass and watch clouds, which I do
    Last edited by ThatCluelessGerman; 22-04-2021 at 04:33 PM.
    I don't know what I'm doing but I hope I will end up with a guitar

Quote Originally Posted by ThatCluelessGerman View Post
    Buuuut the German's have greatly fucked up the vaccination plan, still only 20% of the German people had their first dose, and only around 6% are fully vaccinated. ......
    Beats the sheyet out of where we are... we are just so lucky we are on an island.
    We have less than a 3rd of the population of your country & we have only managed just over 5% to have at least one shot.
    Cliff

...so there is not many places you can go, unless you like to sit around in the grass and watch clouds, which I do
    And maybe soon you can play your acoustic guitar whilst doing it!
    Making the world a better place; one guitar at a time...

They would arrest me for arousing public nuisance, I guess

But I think I got a little better. The dogs don't leave the room anymore as soon as I pick up my guitar. Or, they might just have resignated.

Anyway, I found a nice Ibanez Exotic Wood guitar in the classifieds of my city, it looks like another nice option. The top is ash burl and looks pretty cool.

I would avoid those all-laminate veneered guitars, pretty as they may be. Get one that has at least a solid top, they do sound better and will improve with age. I'm OK with laminate sides and back, as that is far less important to the sound, but an acoustic is all about its basic sound, so do try and get one with a solid top.

We are doing pretty well in the UK with our vaccination program. Me being both quite old and clinically vulnerable, have now had both my jabs, though the 2nd one was quite recent so I still need a week or so before my resistance hopefully increases.

Oh, okay, I didn't know they had laminated tops.

Yes, we are totally admiring you English folks for doing so well! The images with people filling the pubs and parks made us pretty jealous! It shows what can be done in such a brief time and I have nothing but respect for the NHS people for working so hard. Also, you don't look quite old btw :-)

Unfortunately people aren't being as restrained as they should. There are officially still very strict rules about meeting up and social distancing, but get a nice warm day and almost everyone acts like we aren't still in the middle of a very bad situation at it's back to normal.

It's not always easy to check out how a non-current guitar is constructed. But almost any guitar with a fancy looking top and side that isn't at least €1000 will have a veneer finish. And a lot of those veneer woods aren't that great for guitar construction. For instance, burl is caused by rot getting into a dead tree, so the wood is a lot weaker than normal. It's fine if it's a non-structural veneer and is just there to look pretty, but not if it's got to take the whole of the forces a guitar top normally takes.

Okay, I see, thank you. It's harder than buying a car

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast