Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: MBM-1 Custom build

That's looking very good!

Some of the shift will be down to the (relatively) rough surface of the finish. At some angles you won't get any reflections from the surface, but at others you'll get a diffuse white reflection which will lighten the overall appearance. Once you get it polished, a lot of the variations should certainly reduce in intensity, though I doubt they'll vanish altogether.

Whilst you can use steel wool, I and others have used it in the past and found that whilst effective, it can leave behind lots of small steel fibres embedded in the finish. These show up as either small white (if clean) or brown (if they've gone rusty) dots. You need a finish to be really hard to stop this happening. So I and others have switched over to using 3M Scotch-Brite pads, rather like washing-up scourers. I use the very fine and ultra fine pads (7447 and 7448) which are equivalent to 0000 wire wool. These may leave a small amount of plastic dust behind, but it doesn't embed itself and just brushes off. If you can find these or something similar local to you, then I'd recommend using them instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    That's looking very good!

Some of the shift will be down to the (relatively) rough surface of the finish. At some angles you won't get any reflections from the surface, but at others you'll get a diffuse white reflection which will lighten the overall appearance. Once you get it polished, a lot of the variations should certainly reduce in intensity, though I doubt they'll vanish altogether.

Whilst you can use steel wool, I and others have used it in the past and found that whilst effective, it can leave behind lots of small steel fibres embedded in the finish. These show up as either small white (if clean) or brown (if they've gone rusty) dots. You need a finish to be really hard to stop this happening. So I and others have switched over to using 3M Scotch-Brite pads, rather like washing-up scourers. I use the very fine and ultra fine pads (7447 and 7448) which are equivalent to 0000 wire wool. These may leave a small amount of plastic dust behind, but it doesn't embed itself and just brushes off. If you can find these or something similar local to you, then I'd recommend using them instead.
    Thanks for the tip! Found a seller in my country that sells these 3m pads and sent an order. They are pretty expensive but if that means I don't have to search for those metal fibers (I use a magnet and vacuum cleaner) I guess it's worth it.

I used a magnet, which was fine for loose bits, but I still ended up with fibres that stuck in the finish.

Ok so I'm waiting for the 3m pads, I should get them in the next few days.

I stained the covers with black dye, still have to sand them with 240 and I didn't decide if I should leave them black or dye them with matching color to the body.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	covers.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	40391
    Last edited by Eitan Yerushalmi; 03-05-2021 at 01:30 AM.

My preference would be to leave them black. It’s hard to stain two different pieces of wood to match exactly, even if the same basic variety of wood.

If you feel the basswood covers feel a bit flimsy (especially the larger control cavity cover) you can always cut out another piece that’s say 1cm smaller all round, with the grain at right angles to the top piece, and glue it on to double the thickness and form a basic ply. Just leave enough of a gap round the edge so that it fits into the main part of the cavity and doesn’t catch on the rim. You can also do that using stiff plastic or similar as it won’t be seen.

I just got the 3m scotch-brite, can go back to sanding now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3m.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	182.6 KB 
ID:	40419

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Now you’ve got that many, you’ll have to make a lot more guitars.
    yeah, found these sold only in bulk

I've got the same big boxes.

But you can also use them for scouring pots and pans and cleaning ovens!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast