Thread: MBM-1 Custom build

MBM-1 Custom build

Greetings, so I got the kit yesterday, it's a MBM-1 with custom specs:
    alder body
    ebony fretboard
    25.5" scale length
    reverse headstock
    24 frets

In the original specs it also included single coil route for the neck pickup
    and dot inlays, which are missing due to some manufacturing errors.
    I guess I'll have it in my next build .

Today I started with shaping the headstock based on the design of my 1st build, using a coping saw, than some filing and for final shaping I used 120 grit sandpaper:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20210419_133722.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	608.7 KB 
ID:	40189

Than I rounded the fretboard edges after the 24 fret which has some chipped wood, still visible but looks better:

Name:	IMG_20210419_133700.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	369.5 KB 
ID:	40192

After that I oiled the fretboard with some boiled linseed oil, to prevent cracks.

I sanded the body using 120 grit I think I sanded most of the scratches and tool marks but still have some glue spots I didn't manage to get rid off, I guess it needs more sanding.

Name:	IMG_20210419_133741.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	387.6 KB 
ID:	40190

Name:	IMG_20210419_133755.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	40191
    Last edited by Eitan Yerushalmi; 20-04-2021 at 09:22 PM.

Yesterday I sanded the body and neck to 150 grit, the body still have a few glue marks I couldn't get rid of completely, I tried to use some acetone:

Name:	glue.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	505.3 KB 
ID:	40214

Meanwhile I'm searching for a color scheme for the body and neck, I'm using Keda dye:

Name:	burst.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	632.1 KB 
ID:	40215

Still don't know what base color to use, I'll test black and brown, don't have any other idea for now.

Strange areas for glue spots. It could just be a natural feature of the wood. If the marks don't disappear with acetone and sanding, then it is probably natural.

One option would be to spray a solid dark colour on the edges to hide them, with a sunburst effect on the top and back.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    Strange areas for glue spots. It could just be a natural feature of the wood. If the marks don't disappear with acetone and sanding, then it is probably natural.

One option would be to spray a solid dark colour on the edges to hide them, with a sunburst effect on the top and back.
    Can I use dyes on spray? The reason I'm using dyes is because I'm finishing it with tru oil, don't have any other option for now

You'd dye, then spray. Mask the top and bottom of the body and spray the edges first, then when dry, uncover the body do the sunburst on the edge of the body. Practice on some cardboard shapes first, but it's pretty easy to do if you do it carefully and don't be tempted to spray more than just the very edge.

If the marks are glue marks, they'll come up a lot lighter than the body if you rub the body down with turps, methylated spirit or white spirit, If they are natural marks, they'll show up dark. If natural, you'll have to decide whether you can live with them, or want to cover them up. It's unlikely you could get a dye that's dark enough to fully hide the marks, which is why I suggested a paint spray.

TruOil will go on top of the dye and any paint quite happily.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Barden View Post
    You'd dye, then spray. Mask the top and bottom of the body and spray the edges first, then when dry, uncover the body do the sunburst on the edge of the body. Practice on some cardboard shapes first, but it's pretty easy to do if you do it carefully and don't be tempted to spray more than just the very edge.

If the marks are glue marks, they'll come up a lot lighter than the body if you rub the body down with turps, methylated spirit or white spirit, If they are natural marks, they'll show up dark. If natural, you'll have to decide whether you can live with them, or want to cover them up. It's unlikely you could get a dye that's dark enough to fully hide the marks, which is why I suggested a paint spray.

TruOil will go on top of the dye and any paint quite happily.
    Good to know, I thought it needs to soak into the wood, thanks!

I'll do the thing with the white spirit and check those marks.
    Last edited by Eitan Yerushalmi; 21-04-2021 at 08:43 PM.

I lightly stained the body and neck with a red dye that I mixed from Keda dye powders as a base coat, going to sand them tomorrow with 240, not sure what is going to happen since I only tested black and brown as a base.

Name:	red.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	379.4 KB 
ID:	40220

I worked a few hours on the dye today, it's supposed to be some kind of a purple burst. I had a hard time blend the purple with the pink dye plus the middle piece in the body is lighter in color than the other pieces.

Name:	dye.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	40230

Don't know if I can do better than this, also I'm aware to the fact that the tru oil is going to give it a yellow tint, which in some tests that I made earlier wasn't too noticeable, hope it won't turn out too saturated after I'll apply the tru oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Eitan Yerushalmi View Post
    I worked a few hours on the dye today, it's supposed to be some kind of a purple burst. I had a hard time blend the purple with the pink dye plus the middle piece in the body is lighter in color than the other pieces.

Name:	dye.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	343.2 KB 
ID:	40230

Don't know if I can do better than this, also I'm aware to the fact that the tru oil is going to give it a yellow tint, which in some tests that I made earlier wasn't too noticeable, hope it won't turn out too saturated after I'll apply the tru oil.
    if you don’t want it after I have a seven year old daughter who will happily make me buy it from you! I think that burst is great, maybe a Couple more dye swipes around the edges?

love the kit!
    FrankenLab
    Hand crafting guitars, because Death Rays are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankenWashie View Post
    if you don’t want it after I have a seven year old daughter who will happily make me buy it from you! I think that burst is great, maybe a Couple more dye swipes around the edges?

love the kit!
    Cool so it passed the test! I tried to add more dye around the edges, but for some reason it's really hard for me to blend that shade into the others, I think the blue pigment is making it difficult.
    I had the same problem with another kit I'm working on that I tried to do in green burst. The emerald that I mixed showed the same attributes, the more blue pigment I'm adding to the mix the more grainy it becomes.

Name:	green.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	738.0 KB 
ID:	40231

So I sanded the edges pretty heavy to feather it, which resulted in lighter, almost unnoticeable shade.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast